Chapter 12: Stubborn Little Fly

"EEEE! So many new friends!"

Sometimes, you thought about how much harder missions like this would be, if everyone could hear Gibby's voice. Mei and MK already make stealth mode hard on its own, imagine if you added Gibby to the equation. Just the thought of it was enough to make your soul quake.

At least she was enjoying herself. She ran around the cavern of webs, giving each spider funny little names, like Muffet, Teacup, and Angel. You questioned Gibby's naming choices on the last one, but chalked it up to coincidence. She doesn't watch that show, right?

You sighed, burying your hands into your pockets. She's having fun, so that's good.

One of you might as well be...

On the other hand, the speedboat from earlier got stuck on a thick layer of webs connected to the ceiling, keeping it some feet away from ground. With MK onboard, he jumped to force it down with his weight, only to fall and plant his face on the floor.

As for Mei and Sandy? The former crossed her arms, standing on your right. "Maybe you should've saved your boat for an adventure with more water..."

"Yeah, I uhh--" The latter on your left pointed both of his index fingers, then rubbing the back of his scaly head. "--just got excited..."

"Oh, so when I try to be mature, I'm pretending." You raised your brow, catching a glance of Mei's totally innocuous look as she faced away. "But when Mei does it-"

"GAH! Spider demon!"

All of you snapped your attention back to a panicking MK...only to find a tiny spider cackling on his bandana. The spider's reign of terror didn't last for long, as it was easily defeated by a blow from the dragon girl.

"MK, it's just a baby spider." She scolded the quivering delivery boy, completely paralyzed in fear. "Come on, let's go find Piggy!"

"And Tang." Sandy added.

You were about to say something as well, but saw movement from the corner of your eye. And there it was. Another golden sea creature, sitting on a rock.

It looked like a...a lobster? A mantis shrimp? Only when MK took a deep breath and started talking again, did you turn back to the rest of the group.

"Okay, I'll use my super sight of truth to find our friends in this palace of nightmares."

A shroud of gold enveloped his vision, phosphenes only momentarily clouding his eyes. He saw spiders, spiders, and more spiders. No surprises there. What you were actually curious about this truth vision, was something else.

"What do you see, MK?" Sandy pitched in, noticing the brave face MK was forcing on himself. Mei's right, MK. Just calm down. It's just a spider, it's just a-

A yelp escaped from him as a ball of sandy white fur raced past, running on all fours before stopping in front of a rock. The golden gibbon stopped on her tracks, eyes widened at MK. Your theory was right.

"Y-you can see me?" Gibby stuttered.

"Y-yeah!" MK took out his staff and pointed it at her. "So don't think you can get away with whatever evil plans you have- GAH!"

Cutting him off immediately was Gibby, pouncing on him and climbing him like a squirrel finding a new tree. She then hung to him by the neck, before shaking him by the head.

"You can see me, YOU CAN SEE ME, YOU CAN SEE ME!" she squealed. Enough said, the weird sight of MK being shaken by an invisible force was enough for Mei to bring out her blade.

"MK, what's going on?!"

"I-I don't know!" MK stumbled around, trying and failing horribly to maintain balance while Gibby kept climbing around him.