Steven x Moonlight Analysis

Spoilers to Arkham Edition.

VIPs:

GachaEvery
RoseTheMagicalFlower
Wattreader7389

Requested by GachaEvery!

So, this is kinda a topic I was eventually going to cover - but one I had planned later on. But I'm fine with discussing it right now.

Steven and Moonlight... how did it happen?

Obviously, this isn't the first time Steven x Moonlight became canon. The same thing happened in the Telltale Universe - except Moonlight wasn't a villain in that universe. Meanwhile Arkham Moonlight was a bigger villain than the Diamonds or Spinel. 

How exactly did Arkham Steven look at her and went like, "yeah, she's girlfriend material."

And for those of you who are against Steven x gem pairings, Arkham Steven is 18 so you can't pull the pedophilia card and have to admit you dislike it because it's not Steven x Connie. 

But back to the matter at hand, how and why did Arkham Steven pick Moonlight? Well, we gotta step back a little bit.

Prior to them ever getting together, Steven just finished the longest night of his life that changed his grim mood into a more kind and light-hearted one. He recently became the happy Steven everyone once knew while maintaining his serious demeanor for appropriate reasons. 

And not everyone was used to this Steven, because it's unnatural for them to see Steven become this dark and intimidating figure to someone who offers you coffee and doughnuts in a neighborly way. 

So, that's the first step. The second step is the little talk Steven and Moonlight had the following morning. 

Steven and Moonlight finally cleared the air between the two of them and Moonlight finally reveals why she was attracted to Steven so much. For those of you who missed it, Moonlight admits to Steven that she felt so lonely for ages and never thought she'd find someone who had everything she wanted in them.

Basically, she was looking for a partner who'd care for her and not her wealth or status. Basically, someone who isn't a gold digger and Steven seemed to be exactly what she was looking for - except she misinterpreted his urge to save her life as kindness (when it was kinda common courtesy on his part). 

And then Steven admits that he's flattered with Moonlight liking him, because he is actually flattered. Because aside from White Diamond after her development, Moonlight was the first gem who ever made Steven feel like he mattered - in a way. This wasn't specifically revealed yet in Arkham Edition, but I'll reveal it now here.

You remember in Why I Think Moonlight is The Perfect Villain there's a segment that talked about Steven being the root cause of her villainy and not his mother?

Well much like how Moonlight is flattered at the fact Steven doesn't look at her wealth or status, Steven is flattered at the fact Moonlight doesn't look at his past or heritage. 

They have so much in common, it's practically a rite of passage for them to be together since they're practically the same individual. 

Anyway, after they had a talk, Moonlight starts feeling remorseful of her past actions.

Now, I know for a fact that the following transcript I'm about to show you didn't occur in the canon Arkham Edition, but let's just ignore it for now (you can go find it on Chapter 42: Reunion, which is the same chapter Steven makes up with Spinel. I honestly recommend looking over Steven making up with both Moonlight and Spinel since it's so wholesome).

---

Moonlight: I... I tried so hard to be with you... because you complete me, like a puzzle missing its final piece. I just want to be with you and receive affection. I-Is that too much to ask? 

Steven: Moonlight, I'm really flattered, but I don't think we could work it out.

Moonlight: But why? Is it because of what I've said? Or what I did?

Steven: No, Moonlight. I would possibly give you a chance - in spite of everything you've done. But your condition is detrimental, it could cause problems. And I don't want to be involved where I could potentially get my jugular cut open in my sleep.

Moonlight: I can't control it, Steven! I swear, I would do anything to control it! Y-You know that.

Steven: We tried controlling it, and it failed. It's what caused you to dismember Samuel during election night and I had to heal him back together. 

Moonlight: S-Steven, please. I'll do anything! I-I could be like your personal pearl? W-Would that give me a chance with you?

Steven: Moonlight... you're asking to be my slave...

Moonlight: Would it work...?

Steven: No, of course not. 

Moonlight: What can I do then?! I can't find a way to cure myself from this stupid, awful condition!!!

Steven: When did you get it? Maybe I could figure out how you got it.

Moonlight: It started after my little visit with the sorceress and she gave me a scroll to achieve my power and-- Oh, wait! Maybe it's my power that makes me this way.

Steven: Is it reversible?

Moonlight: Yes, and I'm willing to take my powers away and lose everything I have just to be with you.

Steven: Excuse me?

Moonlight: You heard me. My powers, wealth, status... I'm willing to throw all of that away just for you to give me another chance...

Steven: *sighs* You sure you think it's because of your powers?

Moonlight: Yes.

Steven: Okay. If you give up your powers, you're officially pardoned and I guess we'll give this a a shot. But you must give up your powers first. 

Moonlight: Fine by me.

---

And then she became smaller than Steven. She's right around his height currently, just an inch or two smaller. And after that, Steven appears to be leaving Beach City to clear his head.

After a heartwarming goodbye to everyone he knew, Steven takes off to explore the country... and then Moonlight sneaks into his car to go with him.

I'll be honest, I originally planned to have a subtle hint that Steven wasn't leaving Beach City alone in Chapter 43, but that would've spoiled the surprise of Moonlight being his girlfriend too soon, so I came up with 'Moonlight sneaking into his car' excuse to properly hid her.

Basically, to sum up the story Steven told everyone, Moonlight rides with him and after he discovered that she hitched a ride with him, they basically became roommates since he didn't want to return to Beach City just so he could drop her off. And over time, they gotten closer and finally began dating.

The furthest they've ever gone is second and third base. Yes, Steven and Moonlight are still virgins (currently). 

I was almost making it to where they were engaged by the time Steven came back after the Rose The Flower's 'death,' but I thought that would've been too much for the characters (including the readers) to handle. 

And that pretty much sums up their relationship in Arkham Edition. I know it was kinda short, but then again, I wasn't given much to work with - since I can't really go further beyond this without spoiling the ending of Arkham Edition. Yes, I got the ending planned out, but I've yet to reach it.

I am considering making a spin-off of Steven and Moonlight becoming a couple - but I dunno if I want to do it. It seems like a fun idea, but it also seems a bit tricky since I would have to make it a slow-burn type of development and I'm not exactly good at those yet. Unless I am and I don't even know it.

So, that's all I got today. Requests for more analysis stuff is always available, just comment something and it'll most likely get accepted. 

May 4th, 2023. 12:31 AM.