Why Moonstone Is Underrated [Sworn Enemies Analysis]

VIPs:

GachaEvery
Wattreader7389
RoseTheMagicalFlower
AbelardoGuajardoG

Requested by RoseTheMagicalFlower. 

Warning: Spoilers to Steven Universe Arkham Edition and Sworn Enemies.

So, my friend, Rosemary, requested that I do some analysis on some of her stuff in the Sworn Enemies story she wrote - which is basically an AU of Arkham Edition.

And so, I had lots of picks to do. But today, I wanted to start with someone that I think wasn't talked about enough in Sworn Enemies.

Don't think I won't talk about Moonlight at some point, I will eventually and it will be a long analysis (hopefully). 

Lets get started with Professor Moonstone:

Professor Moonstone is an example of a villain who is responsible for so much behind the scenes yet physically does nothing but seem nearly harmless. I think the most perfect way to describe Moonstone as a metaphor is with this:

"In chess, the king always sits back and lets the other pieces do the work and only comes out once the other pieces are exposed." 

Basically, Moonstone is the mastermind of the entire Arkham City arc and everything that happens is because of her. She had everyone under her thumb, except for Steven and Moonlight.

But she definitely had White Diamond under her thumb and taunted her about it. 

It's such a shame I never fully developed Moonstone into this role like how Rosemary made her. I think my problem was that I introduced Moonstone too late for her to be a unique and interesting character. 

Because if you want a summary of her character in Arkham Edition, here it is: she's the one who made Steven see Spinel as his hallucination to further mock and taunt him.

That's it. She became a severe side character that's easily forgettable. 

I had planned on making Moonstone a bit more of a character that you'd hate but also feel bad for (not like Spinel), but then I feared of being too soft so I made it to where you'd feel bad for her because of the physical abuse Black Diamond puts her through.

By the way, here's a detail NOBODY, but me, noticed in Sworn Enemies:

When Professor Moonstone spoke to Squaridot, the text made it clear that the professor was badly beaten off-screen, with hand prints on her neck and burn marks on her arms. Some wondered, "who did that to her?"

Well, I knew who it was: Black Diamond.

Black Diamond physically abuses Moonstone for her failures, which was clear in Arkham Edition. And when I asked Rosemary about the detail, she said that I was right.

So, I felt like I won a gold star for guessing that right. 

Anyway, so I really like how Moonstone was done in Sworn Enemies. In fact, I love how she was done. Because she felt like Arkham Spinel, but with a more refined and even more threatening status than her. 

If you asked me who was smarter, I'd say Moonstone.

If you asked me who left a greater impact, I'd say Spinel. 

Both of these two characters are so similar, yet so different to be completely separate characters.

If you need a rundown of what Moonstone managed to accomplished, here's a small list of the things she's done during her time:

Waited for the rebellion to become an all-time threat after Spinel's death.

Took advantage of Moonlight's willingness to improve Homeworld for the better and proposed the Arkham City project.

Rounded up all of Steven's villains and most of the rebellion behind a secure wall with maximum security to ensure they cannot escape.

Deduced White Diamond's alter ego and threatened to expose her.

Manipulate some of Steven toughest enemies to reveal their origin stories.

Arrested White Diamond and have her thrown in Arkham City.

Proceeded to kill 80% of the rebellion.

Killed Huge Gigantacus

Kidnapped Samuel and Volleyball

That's all that she had done before she was executed under the orders of her own queen. Moonstone may have gotten what she deserved, or maybe not?

I will say that I think Moonstone was genuinely a great follow-up as the main antagonist for the following arc after Spinel's downfall. Especially when she had such a calm and calculated approach that rivaled Spinel's patience and planning. 

It's like their opposites when it comes to villainy:

Spinel being the independent villain who becomes a huge physical threat to the heroes while Moonstone sits back in a safe distance while using everything and everyone as her pawns to her plan, essentially a political and psychological threat. 

However, I think we can all unanimously agree that Spinel made the protagonists struggle more than Moonstone.

Though, I think Moonstone had a more well-thought plan than Spinel (Rosemary's Spinel isn't the same as Arkham Spinel, she's weaker and not as developed as Arkham Spinel). 

Though, I might be a little bias since I like how refined Professor Moonstone is compared to Spinel. However, I think she falls a little bit behind, because she doesn't quite progress the story the same way Spinel did.

Spinel, in Sworn Enemies, drastically changed the story after she stole the spotlight from the main characters and showed them up (basically made Steven and Moonlight look like chumps in terms of theatrics) and then just disappeared.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, kept talking about Spinel after her defeat - even when it has been LITERAL MONTHS since she was a threat to Earth. Professor Moonstone is barely mentioned after her death - with her name only being remembered when Arkham City is the topic of discussion.

It's such a neat detail that truly showed you how much of an impact that Spinel had when she was introduced - to the point she's been the talk of the town.

It's just like when Spinel was introduced for the first time back on September 2nd 2019. 

Good times... good times.

Anyway, basically Spinel is still overshadowing Moonstone's performance. And I have proof for that.

Rosemary tells me that her top supporters speak of Spinel very frequently during the Arkham City arc.

Despite her Spinel not exactly being the same as Arkham Spinel, Rosemary really nailed Spinel as a plot-device to make the story proceed forward. To the point where her legacy is still there and she will never be forgotten.

And you wanna know something ironic about this analysis? It's supposed to be about Professor Moonstone, but I keep talking about Rosemary's Spinel. Spinel will get her own analysis, but she can't help but hog Moonstone's spotlight (because that's exactly what she was doing during the Arkham City arc). 

Basically, this how analysis was a metaphor of Spinel hogging all of the glory while Moonstone sits in the background and pouts. 

May 16th, 2023. 12:05 AM.