04: The president

Dio stood at the kitchen sink, his hands submerged in soapy water as he scrubbed at the plates and utensils from the meal he had just shared with the Hoshinos, an interesting family to say of the least. It was a mundane task, one that most would find beneath them, but Dio approached it with the same intensity and precision he brought to every aspect of his life.

As he worked, he couldn't help but let his mind wander, contemplating the strange turn his life had taken. Once the lord of all vampires, now reduced to washing dishes in the home of a mortal family. It was a humbling experience, to be sure, but Dio refused to let it break his spirit.

The innocent laughter of the twins echoed as they sat in the living room, which simply was separated from the kitchen by the counter, with Ai Hoshino showing them pictures of what Dio could guess was of her group.

Pushing aside his thoughts, Dio focused on the task on hand and dedicated himself to scrubbing each dish clean with a shine that was worthy of his magnificence. Mundane as it was, anything he does must be nothing short of grandeur and perfection. A satisfied smirk decorated his face as he placed the last of the dishes on the drying rack.

"Are you done?"

"Hmm?" Dio turned around and was met by Ai's smiling face. This time, however, it was a simple smile. A smile that Dio could easily determine was the one that she uses on her daily life.

"Ah, Ai Hoshino." He greeted as he dried off his hands. "Yes, I am done."

Dio then picked up one of the dishes, showcasing the exquisite job that he had done. The dish simply was clean, so clean that it acted as a mirror and reflected Dio's prideful stare and Ai's amusement.

"Ooh, thanks for doing the dishes." Ai giggled as she grabbed the dish from him and returned it to the drawer. "You didn't have to, though. You're our guest."

Dio scoffed, "It is proper etiquette for the one that was fed to wash the dishes."

"Hmm, say... I never got your name, haven't I." She mumbled before clasping her hands together in an apologetic smile, "Sorry, I got too caught up in my flow."

Dio hummed as a reply, averting his gaze as he thought of the proper approach regarding his name.

Although he takes great pride in the name Dio, he couldn't deny that it might have unforeseen consequences if he were to tell it to someone who has great influence in the current era.

He fears no one, yet the agonizing defeat he suffered twice from the Joestars left a bad taste in his mouth, and he wouldn't want to risk a third bout between them unless he is at top condition.

Therefore, he concluded that an alias was in order.

"Worry not, Ai Hoshino, I perfectly understand your situation. " Dio nodded,"If you must know, my name is Y/N Hijikita."

"Ooh, are you perhaps a foreigner?" Ai asked, tilting her head to the side."Since if you are, does that mean Hijikita is your surname?"

Dio clicked his tongue, bothered by the fact that he made such a simple mistake but passed it off as he was indeed a foreigner.

After all, he was at heart and mind, an English man.

"Ah, yes. Pardon that mistake. It's written as Hijikita Y/N in Japanese, correct?"

Ai enthusiastically nodded before leaning against the counter, facing him with a gaze that made Dio flinch.

Beads of sweat formed on his forehead as his throat ran dry, uncertain of the emotions that he was feeling when faced with a gaze that felt so thankful and full of admiration towards his existence.

It was no look of worship and amazement that he had gotten when he was the vampire overlord that he once was, but rather a look that seemed to recognize him as a mortal man.

"Thanks again, I mean it."

"...never the matter, it is not important." He brushed off her gratitude and pushed the unfamiliar emotions back down the abyss where they came from.

It was then that the door to the apartment came flying open. Dio, ever being vigilant, straightened his stance and grabbed a knife.

"Have you come back for more peasant!?" He shouted, thinking that it was the man from before. "You are quite a brave soul for attempting to harm this family while I am here."

Insignificant the life of a human was the hoshino family was his source of information, and quite frankly, he was fond of them. Anyone who dares to harm something he was fond of was picking a fight with Dio himself, and he never backs down from such insolence.

"A-Ai... i-is this a hostage situation?" A man with messy blond hair and a pair of sunglasses froze in spot and raised his hands from the sudden knife pointing at him.

"Hm? President? What are you doing here?"

It was then that Dio froze.

The president!? Ai Hoshino knew the president of Japan!? Truly, she was someone big after all!

Dio smirked, "Ah, forgive my rudeness, Mr. President, I was simply making sure the man that wanted to hurt Ai wouldn't return."

He then spun the knife around his wrist before stabbing it back on the counter, scaring the president even more.

"A-Ai, who is this man!?" The man then shook his head. "Never mind that, why aren't you ready!? Your concert is in two hours!!"

Everyone simply gazed at Ai, who showed absolute absent-mindedness about the situation before glancing at Dio, who looked at her with a raises eyebrow.

"Hey, Y/N-san?"

"Hmm? Yes, Ai Hoshino?"

"Wanna watch me perform?"

Dio seemed amused with the question. Of course, an idol is simply a concept that he wasn't sure, but it wouldn't hurt to figure out what it truly was for it to have such great influence.

"Hmph, I shall grace your concert with my presence then, Ai Hoshino."

"Good, keep an eye on Aqua and Ruby, okay?" Ai casually placed the two kids in Dio's arms before running off to her bathroom.

"...Eh?" Dio deadpanned, unsure of what had just happened.

"She just placed you in babysitting duty." Aqua answered his thoughts.

"Shit."