35: jealousy

Inside her private dressing room, Ai sat in front of a large vanity mirror adorned with bright bulbs that illuminated her face. Her reflection stared back at her, and a dreamy smile curved her lips as she recalled the events of the previous day. She couldn't help but replay the moment when she was helping Dio dry his hair after he had been caught in the rain. The image of his drenched figure, the warmth of his presence, and the subtle intimacy they shared sent a pleasant shiver down her spine.

Her mind wandered back to the almost-kiss, and a rosy blush crept up her cheeks, spreading like wildfire. She buried her face in her hands, feeling like a schoolgirl with an embarrassing crush. Her heart fluttered as she relived the moment Dio's face had drawn closer, their breaths mingling, and the world seeming to fade away. It was a moment suspended in time, filled with unspoken emotions and untamed desires.

A mix of excitement and frustration filled her. Excitement because she longed for that stolen kiss, for their lips to meet and ignite a spark that would confirm the feelings she harbored. Frustration because fate had intervened, robbing them of the chance. She cursed herself for not seizing the opportunity, for allowing hesitation and nerves to get the better of her.

"Why couldn't I just go for it?" she muttered to herself, her voice laced with equal parts regret and longing. "It was right there, within reach."

She released a heavy sigh, her fingertips tracing the edges of her lips as if they held the phantom touch of Dio's. The memory of his warmth against her skin lingered, fueling her desires even further. She yearned for the taste of his lips, for the electric connection that she knew awaited them.

Ai forced herself to break free from the reverie, knowing that dwelling on what could have been would only drive her to madness. She straightened her posture, took a deep breath, and looked at herself in the mirror once again. Determination filled her eyes.

"No more regrets," she vowed silently. "Next time, I won't let the opportunity slip away. I'll take a leap of faith and let my heart guide me."

With renewed resolve, she pushed aside her inner doubts and anxieties. The anticipation of what lay ahead mingled with the adrenaline coursing through her veins as she prepared to step onto the stage for her concert. She knew that tonight, she would pour her heart out through her music, channeling her emotions and hopes into each note.

As she stood up from her vanity, her reflection mirroring her determined expression, she whispered to herself, "Tonight, I'll sing for him, for us, and maybe... just maybe, the universe will conspire in our favor."

She meticulously adjusted her outfit, ensuring every detail was perfect. Lost in her thoughts and excitement, she didn't notice the door creaking open.

"Hey, Ai-chan! Long time no see!" MeiMei's voice echoed in the room, accompanied by an awkward silence. Ai turned around, her eyes widening in surprise as she saw her former group mate standing there, wearing a forced smile.

"MeiMei! It's been ages," Ai exclaimed, genuinely happy to see her old friend. "How have you been?"

MeiMei's smile tightened, betraying a hint of bitterness. "Oh, you know, just trying to keep up with my own career. But enough about me, congratulations on your solo concert! It's quite an achievement."

Ai sensed something off in MeiMei's tone but decided to brush it off, attributing it to the pressures of their industry. "Thank you, MeiMei. It means a lot. We should catch up sometime."

As they exchanged pleasantries and shared stories of their respective journeys, MeiMei's behavior grew increasingly peculiar. She leaned in closer, her eyes gleaming with an unsettling intensity. Ai's intuition stirred, but she dismissed it as her own paranoia.

Suddenly, without warning, MeiMei lunged forward, attempting to place a cloth soaked in a sedative over Ai's mouth. Ai's eyes widened in alarm, her instincts kicking in just in time. She managed to dodge the attack, stumbling back, her heart racing.

"What... what are you doing, MeiMei?" Ai stammered, fear and confusion intertwining in her voice.

MeiMei's facade cracked, revealing a twisted smile. "I've always been in your shadow, Ai-chan. Its time for to take what's rightfully mine "

Realizing the gravity of the situation, Ai's mind raced, searching for an escape. But it was too late. MeiMei lunged again, this time successfully overpowering Ai. With a swift movement, she pressed the cloth against Ai's face, the sedative taking effect almost instantly.

As Ai's vision blurred and darkness closed in around her, her last conscious thought was of Dio. She hoped that he would sense something was wrong, that he would come to her rescue. But as sleep claimed her, she was left in a state of uncertainty, clinging to the faint hope that Dio would find her and keep her safe.

§

Author here, sorry for the short chapter. Been having author's block since I've been thinking if the pace is too fast and if it is to you guys then I'll slow it down for the next chaps and just build things up slowly.

Let me know what you think for the book entirely not just this chapter, thanks for the support