46: Fighting for her

The storm continued to shroud the city of Tokyo in a dark veil, raindrops pelting the streets and cold winds howling through the alleys. Yet, amid the tempest, Ai found solace in Y/N's arms, her heart warmed by the tender embrace that shielded her from the chill. As they gracefully leaped down from the third floor, her smile remained unyielding, a beacon of light in the midst of the gloom. She held onto Y/N tightly, feeling the steady rhythm of his heartbeat against her cheek, as if it was a melody that could lull the storm itself to sleep.

As she closed her eyes to savor the moment, her mind wandered back to the time when she was a child. The distant memory of her mother's neglect and abuse, which had once saddened her, no longer had power over her. Instead, she felt thankful, a feeling she thought would never come to her in this lifetime. Being carried by the man she loved, she finally felt like she could be honest with the world, and even more so, with the man who protected her no matter what came their way.

Her eyes glistened, not underneath the moonlight but rather at the golden light that manifested around Y/N, who stared at her with a worried expression on his face. Despite the rather romantic atmosphere Ai was setting up, Y/N couldn't help but feel anxious about the fact that Ai could see the gun that Hol Horse was using. In other words, he feared that Ai might have a Stand of her own. Normally, he would have rejoiced, as Ai would now be safe if she harnessed it properly, but he knew for a fact that Stand users had their way of inviting danger at every turn.

"I'll be busy again," Y/N thought to himself as he made a silent vow to try and stop Ai's Stand from manifesting to properly avoid the fate she would share with Holly Kujo, the mother of his nemesis. For now, there was a battle raging in front of him, and getting Ai to safety was the top priority.

"I'm not going anywhere," Ai declared out of nowhere and deadpanned at Y/N, who raised an eyebrow at her sudden words. "I'm staying here with you, whether you like it or not." She pouted while poking his cheeks in a childish manner.

"But—"

"No buts, the safest place in the world should be by your side. Am I wrong?"

Y/N felt a sudden rise of conflicting emotions inside his chest. On one hand, his reasonable and intellectual side determined it was unsafe for Ai to remain so close to him while fighting, yet his prideful, narcissistic side refused to let Ai's confidence in him be betrayed.

"...I understand."

In the end, Y/N couldn't resist Ai's pleading eyes as they landed safely on the front lawn of the apartment, a good distance away from where Kakyoin fought against Hol Horse and Anubis in what was obviously a losing fight.

"Took you long enough," Kakyoin complained as he gracefully jumped backward to stand beside Y/N, who nonchalantly stretched his limbs. The World's fists materialized in front of them, effortlessly halting the bullets that shot toward them.

"The main character should always arrive at the most dramatic moment, should they not?" Y/N retorted with a playful grin.

"Tsk, this isn't a video game."

"If it were, then you would have died as a way to further inspire me to win the impending battle," Y/N teased.

"Like that'll happen a second time."

"Don't foreshadow your own fate."

Y/N heaved a sigh, his attention briefly shifting to Ai, who sat underneath a nearby tree, trying to wash the blood off her hands with an annoyed rather than disgusted expression.

"She's pretty cute, you know," Kakyoin mumbled as he sidestepped Anubis' slicing attempt, the sword getting blown away as The World took advantage of the opening.

"Noriaki Kakyoin, I do hope you mind your words," Y/N grumbled, a hint of protectiveness in his tone.

"It was just a compliment, no need to get so defensive." Kakyoin taunted as he followed Y/N's lead, his Stand, Hierophant Green, wrapping around The World's fist before launching him as a projectile to deliver a precise kick to Hol Horse's stomach.

"You have a rather... infamous reputation for being fond of mothers."

"Oh? You two already have kids? You work fast, don't you?"

"Tsk, they aren't mine," Y/N replied, his annoyance evident, as he swiftly dodged Anubis' strike and delivered a powerful punch to the user's face, sending them flying backward, only to be caught by Hierophant Green, who coiled around them and Hol Horse.

"Oh? Then doesn't that make you a milf hunter?" Kakyoin smirked, clearly amused by the reaction he elicited from Y/N.

"I do not know that term, but your smile annoys me."

Kakyoin's smirk persisted, and Y/N scowled. The once tense atmosphere had now relaxed, as Kakyoin put on a pair of sunglasses and offered Y/N another pair, which he reluctantly accepted and wore as they prepared to deliver the final strike.

"EMERALD SPLASH!"

"THE WORLD!"

A barrage of emeralds burst forth from Hierophant Green's hands as The World stopped time. Y/N meticulously positioned the emeralds around their bound enemies before delivering a swift and devastating blow to each one. As time resumed, the emeralds moved at a terrifying speed, severing Anubis' user's limbs and shattering its blade. Hol Horse, though missing vital areas, screamed out in agony as the emeralds accurately struck his family jewels.

Kakyoin looked at Y/N and offered his fist, "Nice work." He praised Y/N with a mixture of respect and amusement, making Y/N scoff as he engaged in an awkward handshake.

"Naturally."