12: Investigation

The mansion was eerily quiet, with the only sound coming from the rustling of papers in Aqua's room.

Aqua sat at his desk, surrounded by piles of notes and papers. He had been working on his investigation for months now, but he still didn't have any solid leads on who was behind the attempts on his mother's life. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, trying to focus his thoughts.

He picked up the first file and began to read. The plan involved hiring a private investigator to look into the matter. Aqua had researched several reputable investigators and had even narrowed it down to one. The problem, however, was the cost. He didn't have enough money to hire the investigator and didn't want to ask his family for help. Plus, there was no guarantee that the investigator would find anything useful.

He set the first file aside and picked up the second. This plan involved staking out the places where the attacks had occurred, hoping to catch the culprit in the act. Aqua had already spent several nights outside the hospital, where his mother had been attacked the first time, but he had seen nothing suspicious. He knew he couldn't keep this up indefinitely, especially since he had school and other obligations to attend to.

Finally, he picked up the third file. This plan was the most drastic and the least possible one to succeed, but Aqua was starting to feel desperate. It involved drawing the mastermind into the spotlight. He had gotten the idea from Dio himself.

Possibly, quite possibly, it could work, but he didn't have the connections nor the means to fully flesh out the plan. It was a long shot, a plan that seemed to be drawn with nothing but childish rage and pettiness, which caused his stomach to drop.

He leaned back in his chair and rubbed his eyes. None of the plans seemed viable. He knew that he needed someone's help, but there wasn't anyone that came into mind.

Ai? She was the one he's supposed to be protecting.

Ruby? He couldn't drag her sister in the darkness that he was walking through.

Director Gotanda? Of course, he was his prized connection, but Aqua doubted that he could help when he's still living with his mom.

That left only one person that he could think of.

Aqua sighed as he looked over at the phones that he had stolen from Ai's bedroom. He had unlocked two of them, seeing nothing but calls from the president, Miyako, or from other personal relationships. The last phone, however, was the only phone that was protected with a pass code. He only had one remaining attempt before it would lock him out for the day. He wondered if he should try again or wait for Dio.

Ruby, on the other hand, sat in the living room, staring blankly at the TV screen. She had been trying to watch a show, but her mind was too preoccupied with other thoughts.

She couldn't shake off the feeling of being left behind. Her mother was a famous idol, and her brother was a genius detective-in-training. Even Dio, her bodyguard, was skilled in combat and had saved her mother's life multiple times. She, on the other hand, felt like she had no talents or skills that stood out.

Ruby sighed, slumping further into the couch. Maybe she was just too young to figure out what she wanted to do with her life. But she couldn't shake off the feeling that time was ticking away, and she was running out of time to catch up with her family.

She looked around the living room, taking in the decorations and photos. They were all reminders of her family's accomplishments and successes. It only added to her sense of inadequacy.

Ruby shook her head, trying to rid herself of her negative thoughts. She needed to focus on something positive. She glanced at the piano in the corner of the room. Maybe she could learn to play it. Her mother had always encouraged her to pursue her interests, and playing the piano could be a good start.

With newfound determination, Ruby got up from the couch and made her way to the piano. She sat down on the bench, hesitating for a moment before placing her fingers on the keys. She played a few notes, fumbling slightly, but she persevered. Slowly but surely, she started to play a simple melody.

As she played, Ruby felt her worries start to fade away. She lost herself in the music, feeling a sense of peace and accomplishment. Maybe she wasn't a famous idol or a genius detective, but she had her own talents, and that was enough for now.

Just as she finished her song, she heard the sound of the front door opening. Dio and Ai were back from their concert. Ruby smiled, feeling relieved that they were home. Maybe she could talk to them about her newfound interest in music.

"Finally, home at last." Dio sighed in disdain as he cracked his neck, feeling pleasure from the little act, before returning to his disappointment with his body.

He didn't like the fact that he was exhausted by merely staying up for three days, it was nonetheless annoying that he couldn't last as long as he could before but he didn't know how to fix it.

"Mhmm, you could say that again." Ai whispered, and she stretched her aching back before flashing a smile at Dio.

"Thanks for your hard work."

"Hmph, it was a meager task."

"Mama! Dad!" Ruby shouted in glee, making Dio scowl, his barely existing happiness gone in a snap.

"For the last time, Ruby Hoshino. I am not your father." He muttered in a stern voice that fell to deaf ears as Ruby already clung to Ai's legs.

"Mama! Listen to me play the piano!" Ruby insisted, dragging Ai who simply was too tired to protest.

Dio sighed,"And how about you, Aqua." He mumbled in an emotionless voice as he turned towards Aqua, who hid behind a corner.

"Is something the matter?"

"...can you come to my room later?"

"...very well."

§

Author here, so as you might have already guessed. Dio is gonna take over the world using the media, which seems pretty stupid but you gotta remember the impact of BTS and Blackpink right now so it's not actually far-fetched.

But enough boring stuff, I'm here updating a chapter out of the usual schedule because I need your opinions. Dio and Ai are gonna act in a movie, a psychological thriller one and I'd want to start a poll.

Should I or should I not write 10 chapters telling the movie that they acted on or should I just do the behind the scenes? Or both!

Also if you want to be featured in the book as a returning character then I'm currently looking for characters to be paired with the waifus of the show plus enemies.

Right now I'm looking for a person to pair with Ruby and one enemy stand user (they're not gonna premiere but I wanna ready the chaps)

So comment down below on your opinion on the poll and if you want your character to be featured.

Also Monarch_of_Cats thank you for the continous support, I've got a nice little surprise for you