37: The search

"Huh? Y/N, you can't just randomly run out of the set! Get back there and leave this problem to us!" Ichijo's voice echoed through the phone, laced with anger and exhaustion. The news of Dio's sudden disappearance had thrown the entire movie production into disarray, jeopardizing their carefully planned schedule.

"Are you kidding me? What were you thinking? Just because you're a rising star doesn't mean this won't affect your career, you idiot!" Ichijo's scolding continued, his frustration pouring out as he berated Dio for his impulsive actions. The weight of the situation and the potential consequences weighed heavily on his mind.

Dio remained silent, allowing Ichijo's words to wash over him for the past five minutes. He understood the gravity of the situation, the impact it could have on his career and the reputation of the film company. But at that moment, his priority was something far more precious.

"Are you done?" Dio's voice dripped with malice, his words cutting through the air like a chilling wind. Ichijo's scolding came to an abrupt halt as his throat tightened with unease.

"If you were to ask me, the one and only idiot between us is you, for thinking only about the company and not about Ai's safety." Dio's tone was sharp, his words laced with frustration and a hint of anger. He had no patience for Ichijo's narrow-minded perspective, his inability to see beyond the confines of their careers.

However, Dio knew he had to tread carefully. He couldn't risk revealing his suspicions about Ichijo being influenced by Hikaru's thought manipulation. The consequences could be dire, and his chances of rescuing Ai would be diminished.

Ichijo's voice trembled as he spoke up, his tone hushed and remorseful. "I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me." He took a deep breath, attempting to regain control of his emotions.

"I... I haven't called anyone yet to look for Ai. I don't know why. Even Miyako is sleeping peacefully. What is going on with us? How could we be so careless?" Ichijo's words carried a sense of self-reflection and regret. He realized the gravity of their negligence, the dire consequences it could have on their dear friend.

Dio let out a sigh of relief, the tension in his shoulders easing slightly. It was a relief to know that he wasn't dealing with an idiotic man, but rather someone who was under the influence of an enemy Stand.

"Send out the police or whatever forces you can muster. I will do everything in my power to find Ai," Dio declared firmly, his voice filled with determination and resolve.

"Thank you, please... save Ai," Ichijo pleaded, his voice filled with a mixture of desperation and gratitude.

There was no need for further words. Dio abruptly ended the call, the phone now serving as a makeshift flashlight as he rushed down the mountainside. Each step fueled by a burning determination to find Ai and bring her back safely. The darkness of the night couldn't hinder his relentless pursuit.

"First, I need to confirm the range," Dio muttered to himself, his mind focused and sharp. Stands were known to have specific limitations and stats, including their range. Dio understood that the range affected the reach and effectiveness of a stand's abilities.

He scowled as he dug his heel into the ground, swiftly changing direction and sprinting once more. This time, he aimed to cover a radius of 100 meters, determined to explore every possibility before seeking alternatives.

The uncertainty gnawed at Dio's mind. Was the video a live feed or a cleverly recorded film? He couldn't afford to assume that Ai wasn't nearby. He had to act as if every moment counted.

Furthermore, pinpointing the range of the stand proved challenging. Its influence seemed far-reaching and diverse, affecting both Ichijo and Miyako despite the distance between them being several kilometers.

Dio's knowledge of stands didn't include any with an infinite range. There had to be a method or a trick behind this stand's formidable influence.

"What could it be?" Dio pondered, closing his eyes momentarily to rely on his senses. He needed to gather all the facts and evidence available to him.

His mind raced, connecting the dots of the information he had gathered. The stand's thought manipulation appeared to work more effectively when the thoughts aligned with Hikaru himself. It seemed to manipulate the perception of Hikaru's connection to Aqua in front of the world.

"Wait..." A sly smirk spread across Dio's face as he opened his eyes, a revelation dawning upon him. He had unraveled the trick by piecing together the puzzle.

"The stand influences those who see Hikaru through the media. That's the secret." Dio's voice held a hint of satisfaction as he spoke aloud, realizing that all the people affected by the stand shared the same implanted thought.

His deduction led him to a chilling realization. The stand could manipulate anyone who saw it through media, but its power was limited to simple thoughts. Complex thoughts were beyond its grasp.

"Meaning, Hikaru has to get close to people like Meimei or Ichijo to exert his influence. It's a terrifying power," Dio concluded, his voice tinged with a mix of fascination and concern.

"Still, it is a pretty weak stand. If it were to ever pose a serious threat that I could not solve, simply killing him would do" Dio assured himself and nodded, rushing down the mountain to continue searching for Ai, eventually widening his area of search to 200 meters.