Chapter 3 - Tinkering With Time

You continue following Brigitte as she slams you into wall after wall at every sharp turn.

Brigitte: "I'm so sorry about that Y/N" each and every time. Eventually reaching your rooms door, Brigitte turns to you "Sorry bout the overreaction Y/N, Lena just said... a few things" she explains. 

Y/N: "Huh? What did you say?" you reply shaking off the possible concussion and the daze after slamming into every wall in the complex.

Brigitte: "Don't worry, I'm sure you've been hit by other things harder than that over the years" she says jokingly while turning to your door. 

Y/N: "Sure but that doesn't mean I enjoy hitting something over and over and over-" as Brigitte cuts you off.

Brigitte: "I get it, you've always been a little softer than I was" she chuckles. You say nothing in response but open your door for the swede anyways, her eyes widen "Wow! Looks like someone took the time to clean up before I got here" she says.

Y/N: "How'd you know? I wasn't that messy back in the day" you say in confusion. 

Brigitte: "Well I know you well enough to notice when you clean your room, you forget we basically spent every moment of every day together" she recalls looking at a photo on your workbench, Its a photo of your family with yourself and Brigitte when you were just kids, "It feels like it was yesterday that we would be here, tossing stones into the ocean from the cliff while the sun sets" she says smiling.  Its not very often you get to think back to those days, you grasp your Z Drive from your right pocket as Brigitte looks up at you zoning out "What's that you've got there?" she questions.

Y/N: "Its the last thing my father entrusted me with before y'know..." you then say with a frown, Brigitte then grabs your hand not holding the device pulling you in for another hug. 

Brigitte: "I'm still sorry about what happened to you that day, but if you had died there with them. I don't know what I would've done, but you didn't and now there's only one way to move, and that's forward" she gives you a look of compassion as she embraces you for another minute, you then take her hand and pull her along with you. 

Y/N: "I have something to show you". Walking outside near the very cliff Brigitte mentioned before you start to monologue "This device was entrusted to me by my father for a reason, he called it the Z Drive, we had developed it to the idea of mere time travel in a sense" you say handing it out to Brigitte.

Brigitte: "You're telling me this allows you to time travel?" Confused she takes it from your hand. 

Y/N: "Not exactly" you say , "It allows someone to travel back in time yes, but in the sense that you don't travel to the past, you just get a temporal do over to your recent actions, no going forward, no changing the past, similar to Lena's chrono accelerator y'know, minus the using it as an anchor to this timeline" you explain further with a bit of a laugh towards the end. 

Brigitte looks at you in amazement.

Brigitte: "This is so groundbreaking Y/N, you and your father are both great minds, and now you carry his legacy and his burden" she says passing it back to you, without hesitation you sprint to the edge of the cliff and jump off, Brigitte concerned for your safety runs after you but looks over the cliff face to see nothing as you grab her hand from behind her. "Woah! Don't scare me like that!" She yells out.

Y/N: "I wouldn't have jumped off if I wasn't confident it would work" You say pulling her away from the cliff, "It only has the power to go back a fair bit of seconds, 7 or 8 id say" knowing the limitations its capable of. Brigitte walks with you back to your room suggesting along the way.