seven

Anakin tightened his grip on his lightsaber, from a distance Obi wan looked at him but couldn't care less. Much less now that they were so close.

"Is stuck," a clone says as he tries to open the door where the screams of pain come from.

Rex fired at the door, however, the shot ricocheted and they had to duck to avoid the shot.

Another scream of pain went through the door reaching his ears. Rex watched the way Anakin became concerned, so he opted to try to open the door by pushing his body towards it. And again another scream.

"Erin!" Anakin calls out without getting an answer, "What are you doing? Open the door."

"That's what I'm trying to do," Rex says through his teeth.

Suddenly there was silence, no more screams or moans of pain. Rex looked down as he felt the door handle fall into his hand, Anakin felt it too and wasted no time moving the doors out of his way as he headed into the room.

Erin, who was sitting on a gurney in a hospital gown with a bunch of wires attached to her temples gives Anakin a blank stare before falling back onto her back.

Anakin stopped when he was next to her, looking at Erin's tired face, she looked even older.

"Erin" he tells her quietly starting to remove the wires.

"You're here" Erin tells him with a sigh, "I guess it wasn't a couple of minutes"

"You don't lose your sense of humor," Anakin tells her with a small smile.

"It's dangerous" Erin tells him realizing the situation, "you shouldn't have come"

"Erin," Anakin tells her, brushing away a strand of damp hair, "just let me save you, okay?"

"Just this once, Starboy," Erin says in a low, weary tone, snuggling into Anakin's hand.

Anakin slides her arms under Erin's knees and places one of her hands on her back as he lifts her up like a bride. He leaves the room as the clones make way for him.

• • •

Anakin left the room where Erin was while they did a medical exam.

He should be happy to have found her after searching for her for the last three years, but it was the state in which he found her that worried him.

"So that's the girl you ran away for every night" Obi-wan tells him with his hand on his beard.

“Master, if you are going to scold me…”

"Maybe i should, but I won't" Obi-wan interrupts him, "I'm glad it's Erin and not someone else"

"Do you know her?"

"Yes" Obi-wan agrees, "she was my childhood friend, I also had my time of rebellion"

Anakin couldn't be more surprised by the statement.

The doctor left Erin's room, interrupting their conversation.

"How is she?" Anakin hastened to ask.

"The separatists' goal was not achieved, she is still human."

Anakin then realized that they weren't concerned about Erin's health, they only cared about whether she was a danger to the galaxy. Her fists clenched tightly and before he could do anything, Obi-wan placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you, I'll accompany you to make the report" Obi-wan tells the doctor, pulling him out of Anakin's way.

Anakin watches the doctor walk away as Obi-wan shoots him a look, so Anakin just concentrates on entering the room.

"Hey," he says once he's inside, he looks at a wounded Erin on her bed, "how are you?"

"Okay," she says with an exhale.

Anakin would like to believe what she tells him, but it wasn't like that, maybe the vacant look or the lack of emotion in his tone of voice.

Erin glanced quickly at Anakin's face, "Your hair grew," she tells him, reaching out to reach for Anakin's curlers.

"Yes," Anakin replied with a laugh leaning in closer, "you once mentioned that it would suit me."

“I wasn't wrong,” Erin says, keeping her tone low.

Anakin clung to Erin's hand that was holding her hair, feeling the roughness of the bandage under her face, holding back tears.

He expected Erin to talk like she used to whenever there were long silences. She did not do it.

Anakin looked at Erin, she had that blank look again, and Anakin hated himself so much for it.

"I have a Padawan" Anakin tells her.

Erin doesn't look at him, she keeps looking at some point that doesn't exist.

"Her name is Ahsoka" Anakin continues, "you'll love to meet her, I'm sure you'll get along well"

Erin's hand slips from Anakin's grasp and she falls limply off the bed, Anakin watching the movement.

"Goodnight, Erin," Anakin tells her, leaning down to place a soft kiss on Erin's forehead, he walks towards the exit, taking one last look behind him.