nine

Anakin put his knife aside and looked at his handiwork, satisfied with the result, looking at Erin's passive face.

They were sitting on the grass, like every afternoon to watch the sunset.

"For you," Anakin tells Erin, handing her the figure she carved.

Erin looked down and held up the item, "thank you," she says quietly.

Anakin gave her a smile when he heard her voice, they were just small words, however, it was progress.

"We've been here before," Erin says, "and I don't mean the nights of the last few months, before all of that."

"That's right" Anakin nods, "you said your parents got married here, it was your mother's dream"

Erin runs her hands through the grass. The familiar tingle invaded her and a smile spread on her face.

• • •

Erin woke up with a terrifying scream, sweat drenching her hair and her heart racing.

Anakin ran into the room with his saber in hand.

"I thought something had happened" Anakin tells her turning off his saber.

"Just nightmares," Erin replies quietly.

Anakin nods looking at him before turning around.

"Wait," Erin stops him, "can you stay?"

Anakin walks over and settles into the space Erin leaves for him. Erin walks over to him and places her head on Anakin's chest as he wraps his arms around her.

"I have nightmares too" Anakin tells her quietly.

"And how do you fix it?"

"Well, most of them are about losing you, so I just have to come back to you to realize that you're still here."

Erin smiled into Anakin's chest as her arms wrapped around the boy's waist and she clung to him.

• • •

A few months passed and before Erin even noticed her, she had her flask full of whiskey, non-stop all day.

Anakin brought Ahsoka to meet Erin, the two instantly connected. And Ahsoka asked Anakin to take her every time he visited Erin.

"I mean, I like how I look, but I don't know, I feel like I can look better," Ahsoka finishes telling Erin.

"Well you're pretty Ahsoka," Erin tells her as she refills her flask, "you shouldn't worry about that."

"But I do it!" Ahsoka raises her voice, "and I hate it"

Erin laughs, plopping down on the couch.

"I don't remember my teenage stage being like this"

"You're an old lady, it's normal for you to start forgetting things," Ahsoka teases.

Erin picks up the cushion and throws it at her, Ahsoka dodges with a laugh and Anakin catches it.

"Playing so early, girls?" He asks them leaving her saber on the wooden table in the dining room.

Anakin approaches and places a kiss on Erin's forehead, Ahsoka watches the scene.

"And what were they talking about?"

“About Erin's wrinkles,” Ahsoka continues to joke.

Erin rolls her eyes taking a drink from her.

"Agh, I hate you so much" Erin tells her getting up, walks over and takes her coat.

"Where are you going?" Anakin asks with his arms crossed.

"For a drink, I'm tired of being cooped up" Erin replies, "don't destroy the house" she warns them before leaving.

Ahsoka walked over with her hands behind her back and a mischievous look on his face.

"Oh, don't look at me like that, snips ," Anakin tells her, walking to the window to watch Erin leave.

"I just didn't know you were attracted to older women, master."

"Hey, don't mention that," Anakin pointed a finger at her, "Erin's not that old."

"Well, I didn't judge, just that there is a jedi code that..."

Anakin cuts her off with a deep sigh.

"Yeah, yeah, I know," Anakin tells him, "just leave it at that."