sixteen

Erin brushed the old wood, then jumped when she felt something wet on her back.

"Anakin!" She yells at him with a giggle.

Anakin walks away from her with a brush full of paint as he covers his mouth to hide her laughter. Erin reached out with her own brush to try to smear paint on Anakin as he had on her.

Anakin grabbed Erin's arms before she could smear paint on them and leaned down to kiss her neck as Erin doubled over with laughter.

"Stop playing," Erin tells him, pulling away from him.

"I don't want to paint anymore" Anakin says with a pout, "we have to go to bed"

"We know we're not just going to bed"

"And what's wrong with that?" Anakin tells him with a mischievous smile.

Erin laughs as he pulls him in for a kiss.

"I'll go get something to eat," Erin tells him once they part ways.

"Don't go" Anakin clings to her waist, "stay here with me"

Erin manages to push him away, "I'll go get something to eat, I'll be back"

Anakin reluctantly releases her and Erin gives him one last kiss before leaving.

• • •

Erin walked over to a fruit stand and picked some apples for herself and Anakin, deciding to pick more to give herself enough energy now that they were remodeling the cabin.

"Erin?"

Erin dropped the peach into her hand once she heard the familiar voice.

"Oh my gosh, it really is you"

Erin walked away from the fruit stand as fast as she could hearing the hurried footsteps behind her.

"Erin, wait" the woman takes her arm, "don't you remember me? It's me, mom"

Erin turns to the woman, she remembered that tired and depressed face, but now it was illuminated by a brilliant peace.

"Look at you, how great you are. You really survived," the woman tells her with a smile.

"No thanks to you," Erin snapped.

"Oh Erin, I thought you'd get it, things weren't good back then."

"Oh, of course I knew," Erin snapped, "I took care of my brothers while you were gone, never imagining that one day you would get rid of me."

The woman makes a sad face, "you must understand that it was the only thing that your father and I could come up with, look at you too, now you are a strong woman"

Erin huffs and moves to walk away.

"Erin!" The woman yells at her, "don't you want to see your brothers?"

Erin stops, "didn't you abandon them?"

"How could I, I am her mother"

"You were my mother too!" Erin yells into her face as tears escape her.

Erin pulls back rubbing her chest as she sobs, giving her mother one last look as she walks away from her, resuming her path as she runs her hands through her hair trying to control her sobs. she. Her mother didn't return her call, she just let her go.

"Give me all the bottles of whiskey you have," Erin tells the man.

"All?" The man asks in disbelief, looking at Erin's tearful appearance.

Erin nods putting all the credits she has on the table, "all"