xii. Let it Go

Autumn 999 - Vinland

No matter how many times Elijah looked down at the little boy in his arms, he couldn't stop the overwhelming joy that he felt. This was exactly what he wanted. He had always wanted a big family. Like the one he had grown up with, but he would make sure his children always felt the love and affection of a father, unlike him.

"I can take him back." The gentle voice interrupted his reverie.

His eyes connected with the sweet brown eyes of the woman who had spoken to him. Tatia had her arms stretched out to take the boy with a small smile on her face. One that Elijah eagerly returned.

"I don't mind holding him while you browse." Tatia gave him another bright smile as she turned back to the herbs she had been perusing. He watched in fascination as she scrunched up her nose, trying to decide which bundle to select.

Elijah had taken to spending his days with Tatia. At first, it started with showing her around, but after a while, he just enjoyed her company. While he had his own responsibilities, he couldn't help but try and spend every free moment with her and her son. It didn't hurt that Astra was off on an expedition with Ayana and had been gone for over a fortnight leaving him with nothing to do during his downtime.

"I know I was gone for a while," He heard the familiar voice in front of him. "But not that long."

Elijah smiled up at his friend who was looking down at the small babe in his arms. She had a peculiar look on his face which Elijah wasn't able to work out. That more than anything surprised Elijah. He had known Astra for so long he typically could figure out exactly what was going through her head.

"You're back." Elijah shifted the babe in his arms.

"Yes, we just arrived." Astra shifted uncomfortably. "I see you're still showing Tatia around."

"Yes, it appears she's wandered off." Elijah glanced around for the brunette woman but didn't see her. He had been so focused on the child, that he hadn't realized.

"Right." Astra wrung her hands. She didn't like how awkward things had become between them. They had always been able to say exactly what was on their mind, but lately, it was as if they had become strangers.

"Astra, you're back," Tatia said cheerfully appearing from around the side of the shop.

"So we've established." She gave the woman a tight smile.

"Elijah and I were planning to go over to the meadow to watch his brother's train." Astra reached for her son and this time Elijah handed him over. "Are you joining us?"

"No," Astra startled at the news. For some reason, she hadn't expected Tatia to insert herself so completely into Elijah's life. "I'm quite tired from my travels. I was actually just leaving."

"Oh." Tatia seemed to sense the tension amongst the group and glanced at Elijah. But Astra merely gave him a quick smile and turned to leave.

"Astra," she stopped but didn't turn back around. "I'll come by later."