xxiv.ii Behind the Red Door

TW for graphic violence, death, loss, etc. I mean look at the chapter title. 

February 2014 - New Orleans, Louisiana

Hayley didn't know what to expect when Klaus had closed his eyes and the memory around them seemed to disappear. Somewhere along the way they had discovered they had some control over what they were seeing, directing Elijah's subconscious to a specific memory. Unfortunately, it wasn't as simple as directing it to his humanity. Wherever that was, he had it locked down.

They were standing in the bayou and Hayley saw herself sitting in the long blue dress she had worn to the Mikaelson 'peace' party. She was laughing at something Jackson said but that wasn't what she wanted to see.

Elijah had been there, she thought as she spun around to figure out where he was hidden. When her eyes landed on him, her heart nearly broke. Eve was with him. With how hectic her life had been after Eve's death, she rarely got time to miss her friend. Eve had been the first member of her family she had ever met. The first person to truly accept her and take her in. And she had died over a stupid power struggle. She hadn't deserved that. She was an innocent in all of this. More innocent than the rest of them. She had never even taken a life, which is more than any of them could say.

"He used to come out here every night," Klaus smiled sadly at his brother. "He would watch over you and make sure you were safe."

"I can take care of myself," Hayley tried to sound offended but the look on Elijah's face as he gazed at her took her breath away.

"He knew that," Klaus nodded his head. "On this night I thought everything would change. He stormed out of the compound on a mission, declaring 'If I want something, I take it.' I was certain he would show back up with you and you three would be a happy family without me."

"He was going to tell me how he felt?" Her eyes welled up again and she cursed herself for being so emotional. It had just been too much for one day. Hayley also didn't feel like diving into Klaus' jealousy. For once, she wasn't going to let her and Elijah revolve around him. "What stopped him?"

But as she said it, she tuned into the conversation Eve and Elijah were having.

"You don't need to keep coming out," Eve was telling him but he didn't take his eyes off of her. Or her former self. "I'd tell you if something was wrong. She's doing okay. That girl has a natural gift for leading. She surprised everyone."

Hayley was happy to hear her friend speak so highly of her, but it made her heart clench even more. She had always doubted her leadership, after all, she had no training or education or even history with the pack. But Eve always had such a faith in her.

"Not everyone," Elijah murmured, a smile on his face. Klaus elbowed her and she realized that she had been grinning like an idiot watching him. She bit her lip to stop herself from smiling but continued to gaze at him. He had always been her biggest supporter, even if it meant taking her away from him.