xiii. Look After You

Autumn 999 - Vinland

Astra wandered through the forest toward her favorite spot. It was the meadow that she and Elijah often spent time in, however, that had become less and less frequent now that he was spending so much time with Tatia.

She supposed it also didn't help that Ayana had required more of her services as of late.

So she was surprised when she arrived at the meadow to see she wasn't the only one there.

"I figured you'd show up eventually." Her best friend smiled at her as he stood up from where he had been widdling on the grass.

"You spent your whole day just sitting here waiting for me?" She asked, her tone a bitter disbelief. He had far too much to do to spend his entire day just waiting around.

"Yes, well you have been avoiding me and left me with few options." Elijah retorted, sliding his knife into his belt. "What's going on Astra?"

"I am not avoiding you." She turned to leave the meadow but then seemed to realize it would only prove his point. "You're busy and I've been busy. I told you we would get together soon."

"And the season has almost come and gone since then." Elijah reached out to touch her but she took a step back.

"Don't be dramatic." She rolled her eyes and pushed past him to move further into the meadow.

"Oh I forgot, only you are allowed to be dramatic."

"What's that supposed to me?" She whirled around at his tone. She hated to fight with him but couldn't stand the condescension in his tone.

"You know exactly what it means Astra." He stormed off toward the path back to the village. "But you're right, I don't have time for this."

"I'm sure Tatia is waiting." She regretted the words as soon as she said them. This time he spun around to look at her in disbelief.

"You are not allowed to be angry that I am speaking to another woman." He nearly growled and she balked at his tone. Elijah hardly got angry and when he did, it was seldom at her. "I wanted to marry you and you said no. I waited for you and you cheated on me. I covered for you over and over again. And now you will deny me my happiness because you are feeling neglected."

Astra clenched her jaw, it was better than trying to respond. Anything she said would come out with more venom than he deserved. After all, he was right. She had messed everything up so thoroughly and it wasn't fair for her to just expect him to put it all back together.

"I thought you would be happy for me." He whispered before walking back towards the village, leaving her alone in their meadow.

December 2013 - Manosque, Frances

Rebekah decided to stay in Manosque through Thanksgiving, much to Marcel's disappointment. Rebekah apologized that she would be missing their first holiday together as a couple, but she didn't know when she would get this opportunity again.