xxxiv. It's For the Better

Summer 1001 – Vinland

The sound of birds was all he could hear. He couldn't place where he was. The last thing he remembered was the feeling of pain and coldness. But now he felt the warmth of the sun and could hear the forest coming to life as it did every morning. The coldness was gone but the pain still remained.

Elijah had to blink several times before the world around him came back into focus. It didn't take him long to surmise where he was. It was not his home but it was just as familiar.

"Remind me to replace your bedding," he muttered, feeling pain radiate from his torso as he attempted to sit up.

"Elijah," Astra gasped from where she lie next to him on her lumpy bed. "You're awake."

She gently pushed him back on the bed as to not upset the cloth she had wrapped around his torso to aid in his recovery.

"I believe that is because of you." His smile was sleepy but proud. She was relieved to see the sparkle back in his eyes.

"And Tatia," Astra demurred. "She was the one that found you."

"Where has she gone?"

"To bring Hale to Ayana," Astra said pulling the sheets down to examine her handy work. "She will be back shortly, I'm sure."

Elijah observed Astra as she gently pulled back the bandages to inspect his wound. She had a serious look on her face that he so rarely saw. He hated to be the one to bring it out of her. Astra was always so full of life and joy. She should always have a smile on her face rather than the intense frown he now saw.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, hissing slightly from the pain.

"Don't be ridiculous," she brushed off his apology. "You didn't stab yourself."

"Yes, but you told me not to go," Elijah argued. "I went anyway. I should have listened to you."

"Yes, you should have." Her eyes met his and a ghost of a smile appeared on her face.

"Are you alright?" He reached for her hand and brought it to his lips to kiss gently. "It must have been a hard night for you."

"It was fine," Astra said, bristling slightly. "Tatia was extremely helpful."

A strange look passed over Elijah's face at the notion. One of pride but also surprise. Not surprise that Tatia would offer, but surprise that Astra would actually let someone help her. He was grateful. If the previous night was any indication, he may not always be there to protect her. He was relieved to see that she was learning to lean on others outside of him.

****

July 2014 – New Orleans, Louisiana

The compound was once again quiet.