xxiii.ii I Promise We're Not Mean

The room was silent as Davina pushed the door open

The room was silent as Davina pushed the door open. It had been the same room they had kept her in when Marcel had forced her to live with the Mikaelsons. She had hoped to never have to return there. And very few people could pull her back to that room.

But Astra had told her a certain blonde newbie vampire was similarly being held against her will and could use a friend. So Davina found herself facing her hatred of the Mikaelsons for the very person who had stood up to them in her defense all of those years ago.

"Cami," she whispered as she took in her friend for the first time as a vampire. She hadn't even known Cami had been killed, let alone that she transitioned. "It's me."

Davina had no idea what to say to her. She didn't know what it was like to transition, to feel the intensity of the heightened emotions and blood lust. She had seen Kol struggle with his own, especially when he was still under the curse of the ancestors.

"What are you doing here?" Cami didn't look up at her but continued to stare forward at whatever was on her lap.

"Astra said you could use a breakout," Davina gave a halfhearted smile as she took a step to the salt border that was holding Cami hostage. "So here I am."

"You're going to let me out?" Cami finally met her eyes and Davina's smile fell away at the sadness she saw within them.

"Of course," she reached across the barrier to grip her friend's hand. "They shouldn't have trapped you here. You don't deserve that."

"I tried to kill Klaus," she admitted, her eyes drifting back to the book on her lap.

"Who hasn't?" Davina laughed and this time Cami let a small smile grace her lips for a moment. "What are you looking at?"

Davina walked through the barrier without resistance and sat down next to Cami on the couch. The photo album Hayley had received for Christmas was open on her lap to a page that showed Cami and Elijah watching over Hope at the safe house.

"Klaus thought looking through this would help me connect to my humanity," she murmured as she flipped the page.

"Is your humanity off?" Davina asked carefully. Astra had said she was struggling but hadn't warned Davina that she could potentially be in danger. Davina was almost certain Astra would have alerted her if this was the case.

"I don't think so," Cami admitted. In reality, she wasn't even sure. What was humanity after all? Did her desire to drink blood from any human who crossed her path mean she was no longer human? Did her need to drain the life out of someone in order to sustain her own mean she would always be on the outskirts of humanity, unable to ever feel human again?

"What do you feel right now?" Davina pried. She had never been around a vampire without humanity. She had seen Elijah briefly but she hadn't seen much of a difference between how he normally acted. The Mikaelsons were not shining examples of vampires with humanity after all.