xxvi.ii Too Late to Apologize

February 2014 – New Orleans, LouisianaAstra was surprised that she actually enjoyed her time with Camille and Hayley at the gym

Astra was surprised that she actually enjoyed her time with Camille and Hayley at the gym. They had all been scrambling for days to bring Elijah back to himself. She hadn't even been able to mourn Ariane properly. Everything had happened so quickly after that.

Leaving the gym, she took Elijah's advice and attempted to call him, assuming he should be done with his interrogation of Raphael by then. She knew Raph didn't have the stake, he knew better than to make a move against Elijah's family. It had to be someone else in the Strix, using Elijah's time without his humanity as a chance to attack the Mikaelsons without worrying about angering him. But it had to be someone who was invited in.

When Elijah didn't answer his phone, she sighed and headed up to his room in the compound. She wasn't sure where he would want to be but she knew he likely would want to change out of his bloodstained clothes. He had been so anxious to find Raphael that he had taken off without changing first.

Astra's hunch had been correct as she entered his room and heard his shower running. His bloody clothes lay haphazardly on the floor which was very unlike Elijah. She quickly picked them up and threw them in the trash, Elijah didn't need the reminder when he got himself clean.

Elijah's bathroom was large and he had clearly had it redone when they relocated back to the French Quarter. It was perfectly to his style. Sleek and modern, but accented with an antique style. Much like Elijah himself.

The large bathtub was empty and the steam wafted out from the glass shower, nearly obstructing her view. But she made out Elijah's figure, his forehead pressed against the stone wall as the water poured down on his back. His muscles were taut as he pushed against the wall.

She knew he heard her enter but he did not turn around. He did not acknowledge her. So Astra stripped down quickly, padding across the cold stone floor and slipping into the shower. The water stung her skin as it was practically boiling, but she did not shrink back. Instead, she ran a gentle hand down his back and then slid both arms around his torso, pressing her body against his.

"You're alright," she whispered. "I've got you."

A shudder raked through his body as he held back a sob. She tightened her hold on him and placed a kiss in the center of his back. She knew he didn't want to feel weak and she fought the impulse to flood him with positive emotions. But he needed to feel them. She would not rob him of the chance to process what he'd done. Not like his mother had.

And it's not like she had any positive energy to give. She felt the pain radiating off of Elijah and it mirrored her own pain. They could feel it together. Process it together.

The tears were already streaming down her face before she realized it, but Elijah must have heard the soft gasp she let out because he spun around, wrapping her in his arms. He tucked his face into the crook of his neck but she couldn't tell if he was crying or if it was merely the shower water dripping down his face.