xvii. Self-Serving Egomaniacs

Summer 1955– Manosque, France

The children squealed as they ran through the courtyard, a fluffy white dog chasing after them. Laughter echoed against the stone sending a shiver down Elijah's spine. It had been a long time since he had seen such unadulterated happiness. And even longer since he had felt such happiness.

Not even two decades had passed since he had last seen his brother and discovered Niklaus had been holding all of his siblings hostage in their coffins. Initially, he had waited for Astra to regain her memories in order to track them down. However, upon finding her in New York, he discovered her own life was in shambles. Elijah had remained for a time to help her put her life back together.

Yet several years later, her life seemed perfect and his life was the one in shambles. He had been searching for his siblings for so long, to no avail. His entire family felt lost to him.

"Your wine," Astra approached Elijah, holding out his glass of wine.

"Thank you," He accepted the wine, but his eyes never left the playing children in the square. "This is perfect."

"It is, isn't it?" Astra leaned into him and he wrapped an arm around his friend.

"She's perfect as well," his eyes shifted to the woman tickling one of the children whom she had caught. The brunette's curly hair was tied into a bun to fight off the summer heat. Her laughter mingled with the children's.

"I'm quite fond of her," the smile on Astra's face gave away just how fond she was of the woman. Astra had wanted to wait for Elijah to be present for the ceremony so as soon as he arrived back in France, they drove down to the south for a small ceremony on the beach. It wasn't like they could have a real wedding. "Luce, leave the children alone and join us."

The woman stopped, a child swinging in her arms and a smile on her face.

"Alright, alright, I have to go," Lucille told the children, giving them each a hug. Her words were met with a chorus of groans as the children untangled themselves from her. "I will be back again tomorrow."

"For someone who doesn't like children, you seem to have several." A smile graced Elijah's face and he felt the guilt settle in. He hated himself for feeling happy while his siblings lay in their coffins.

"Lucy loves them," Astra shrugged, yet she felt more content in her life than she had ever felt as she watched the woman she loved walk towards her and her best friend. "She wants to adopt them all."

"And I would if someone would let me," Lucille slid her arm around Astra, pulling her out of Elijah's arms. "Hands off my wife, Mikaelson."

"She was mine first," Elijah smirked as he pulled Astra tighter before releasing her to her wife. "However, I suppose there isn't anyone else I would trust her with."

Elijah couldn't help the spark of jealousy that ignited deep in his gut as he watched the loving looks between the women and the light kisses Lucille placed on Astra's lips. It had been a century since he had felt that love and he wasn't sure he would ever feel it again. Yet he couldn't begrudge his friend such love. It had been even longer for Astra since she had been so deeply in love.