xxvii.ii Ludum Regale

February 2014 - New Orleans, Louisiana

The feeling of isolation wasn't new to Astra. She had long since become accustomed to the feeling of loneliness that crept over her like an icy blanket. But she was never truly alone. She could hear them calling out to her. Beckoning her forward into the darkness.

Her hand moved on its own, sliding over the kitchen counter. She couldn't remember deciding to go to the kitchen, couldn't remember pulling herself out of the cocoon she had made in Elijah's bed or the long walk down to the kitchen. All she could remember was the pain she felt. It radiated through her like a drum beating in her chest.

The smooth metal felt cool in her hand as she weighed the blade. It was long and sharp.

"Astra." Her head snapped up and her eyes met wide green ones. "What are you doing in here?"

"I don't know," she mumbled as her hand fell to the counter, knife clattering on the marble. "What are you doing awake?"

"Awake?" Hayley glanced around the room in confusion. "It's the middle of the day. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." Her eyes blinked rapidly as she shook her head, pushing out the lingering thoughts.

"Yeah, I've heard that one before," Hayley's eyes narrowed as they traveled down to the knife before her. "Do you want to talk?"

"No." Her voice was harsh and she felt guilty for a moment, but she didn't owe her anything. She didn't owe any of them anything.

"Okay." Hayley glanced around unsure of how to proceed "I was actually looking for you. I'm worried about Elijah, he's acting strange and won't even look at Hope."

"Thank you Captain Obvious," Astra muttered back, her head still ringing. "It took all of this for you to realize that Elijah may not be emotionally indestructible?"

"I-"

"No, you don't get to stand here and expect praise because you have finally noticed how much he is struggling. I am here and I am taking care of him."

"You can hardly take care of yourself," Hayley did not balk at the attack. She had expected it. Hayley was beginning to learn that Astra was more of a Mikaelson than she had initially understood, down to her defensiveness. "I am trying to help."

"I don't need your help and neither does he," Astra snapped back at her. "So just leave us alone. Go back to your husband and your happy little family. I'll take care of mine."

Her anger was so intense that it made her head throb. She couldn't be there anymore. She couldn't be in that room with the she-wolf staring at her with pity. She couldn't be in the house where she held Ariane's heart. She needed to get out.

****

The few baby vamps who had been training at the church-turned-gym were wise enough to flee at the entrance of Elijah and the entirety of the Strix army that remained in New Orleans. They all wanted to see the battle for the throne.