xv. Side by Side

"What have you done?" Klaus demanded, darting from where he had been sitting next to Hayley to show her the photo album

"What have you done?" Klaus demanded, darting from where he had been sitting next to Hayley to show her the photo album. His glare was not directed at his eldest brother, rather it was focused on his eldest sister.

"You said you wanted the whole family to be together for Christmas," she met his glare with a steady one of her own. "Now we are."

"Most of us don't consider that traitor family." Kol snarled, joining his brother's side. Together they made a formidable team. "You remember he killed me, and he tried to kill Hope."

"We've all made mistakes," Freya argued, putting her hand on Finn's shoulder as he appeared ready to fight his own battles. "You can forgive everyone here, so why not Finn?"

"He tried to kill my daughter." Klaus' voice echoed throughout the courtyard stopping everyone in their tracks. Anger radiated off him in waves.

"I was trying to protect us from Dahlia," Finn managed to stand his ground despite the very real threat in front of him.

"Since when did you care about protecting this family?" Rebekah joined the fray, hoping to calm things down before someone really did get hurt. "As soon as Elijah released you from your coffin, you sided with our mother to kill us all, including yourself."

"Released me from my coffin?" He scoffed, a look of disgust on his face. "Such a merciful way to say it. Are you forgetting the 900 years you all left me in it before that?"

The room lapsed into silence. After all, there was nothing to say to that. They had abandoned him in an endless slumber for 900 years and he tried to kill them all.

"I think Christmas is as good a time as ever for forgiveness." Freya had positioned herself between her siblings and her older brother, hoping no one would make a move with her very mortal body in the center.

"Elijah you're the virtuoso of forgiveness, what do you say?" Nik turned around to face the table of onlookers. Hayley and Jackson were staring wide-eyed at the scene before them, Hope clutched tightly in her mother's lap. Marcel and Davina, for their part, looked as if they were ready to join the fight. However, other than that the table was empty. "Where's Camille?"

"She took off," Hayley explained, a slight frown gracing her lips. "Elijah disappeared shortly after."

"Back only a few moments and you've already driven off our most patient sibling." Rebekah sneered at Finn before returning to her seat at the table.

"Camille has been scared half to death since discovering the supernatural world," Nik rounded back on Freya, finding her to be the most at fault in the situation. "I promised her she would be safe here and you've brought the man who tried to erase her from existence to dinner."

"Camille is a forgiving person, she will come around." Freya's voice was more hesitant on that point. She hadn't been around to see the terror Cami had gone through at the hands of their brother, but Nik had been. And he would never forgive his brother for what he did to Camille and his daughter.