xxxiv.i He Had It Coming

Autumn 982 – Vinland (present day America)

Astra felt his fear before she even realized what was happening. She had become so attuned to Elijah's emotions that she had begun feeling them all the way back at her family's hovel. Especially the strong ones.

And this one was strong.

His fear was so intense, her entire body began to shake. But she had to stay focused. If he was afraid, something terrible was happening. He was always so brave.

Astra crept quietly out of her cot and past her mother's. She knew her mother had taken a strong potion to help her sleep, so she wasn't the concern. It was her father who had fallen asleep in his chair in front of the fire. He hadn't even moved when her mother had extinguished the fire. Astra assumed it had to do with the goblet that was still clutched tightly in his hand. She only hoped it was enough to keep him asleep as she moved to the front door.

The room was nearly pitch black so she had to move more slowly than she would have liked to avoid knocking anything over. She made it to the front door without any incident and held her breath as she pulled the door open. The door creaked lightly but it still made Astra freeze in place. Her father would never allow her to go to Elijah's aid. Fortunately, she heard the loud grumbles coming from where he still sat, signaling that he had not woken up.

Once free from the hut, Astra took off running. The woods were dark but Astra knew the way well. Even if she hadn't, Elijah's fear was like a beacon, calling her forth. She ran through the brush, not feeling the twigs slapping across her face. She didn't care about anything other than getting to Elijah.

She tore out of the forest and came up short at his home, not sure where to start. Mikael wouldn't appreciate a late night visit. But Elijah's fear wasn't coming from their hut.

Astra followed the emotion as it got stronger and stronger, leading her to the village's slaughter house. The red door looked like blood in the moonlight and had her coming up short. She had never set foot in it before. Her mother said it was no place for a young lady and, unlike many other things in life, Astra had no desire to argue.

But she felt his fear so keenly. He was inside.

Yanking on the door handle, she heaved with all of her might to open the door, but it would not budge. She tried again, this time groaning with the effort, but the door did not budge.

"Astra," the small whisper she heard from within had her doubling her efforts. She muttered a spell under her breath but it was no use. "Your magic won't work, he had mother enforce the door."

Elijah's voice shook with fear, but she could tell he moved closer to the door than he had been when he first spoke. He had moved closer to her.

"What happened?" Her voice quiet to match his. He must have been scared that Mikael would hear and come investigate.