xxxi. Something to Prove

Summer 1001 – Vinland

"Father," Elijah called out but he did not see anyone. His father had told him to meet at this location and, while Elijah had found the request strange, he was in no position to refuse.

The woods were dark in these parts as the canopy above them was dense. It was a part of the woods that Astra would love to explore, dragging him with her. But he preferred the light, airy woods near their home. He didn't trust the uncertainty of the dark.

"It appears you can follow instructions," Elijah spun around, his hand flying to the sword at his hip before he relaxed slightly at the recognition of his father's voice. Though he did not remove his hand completely from the sword. "Yet, you dare embarrass me at the assembly before the entire village."

Elijah had known he would be on the receiving end of his father's wrath. His father had demanded he side with him against the wolves, and part of him had intended to follow through in fear of his father's threats. But he couldn't. He looked at Astra's face, in the crowd as they called the leaders forward to vote. She had faith in him that he would do the right thing. Not only for the wolves but for their people.

And in that moment, he knew what he had to do. He wanted to create a safe space for his children to live and grow. War with the wolves would only lead to more pain and suffering. Elijah also couldn't bare the look on Astra's face if he betrayed the people who had always been good to them. The wolves never gave him reason to doubt their loyalty and he wouldn't give them a reason to doubt him.

So he had voted for diplomacy, to attempt to resolve the rising tension by words rather than through blood. He made this decision with the knowledge that his father would never forgive him.

"I did what I had to do for our people," Elijah stood his ground, but did release the hilt of his sword. He didn't want to antagonize Mikael anymore than he already had. "More war will only lead to our people being killed."

"Our people will be slaughtered in their beds because of you," Mikael snarled as he took a step towards his son. "I will not allow your weakness to infect our village."

Elijah closed his eyes for a moment to gather himself before he said something he would truly regret. But when he opened them, Mikael had used that moment to arm himself with his sword.

Unlike Elijah, Mikael did not hesitate as he plunged it into Elijah's abdomen.

"Father," Elijah gasped in surprise as he felt the pain radiate throughout his body. He gasped as his father yanked his sword back. "Why?"

"Your sacrifice will not be in vain son," Mikael cupped his son's face gently. Elijah's muddled mind couldn't think of the last time his father had touched him with so much affection. "However, it seems our people need some motivation. What could be more motivation than their favorite warrior, struck down in his prime by the very creatures he defended. I never wanted it to come to this, but I must protect our family. You will be remembered my son."