xxii.i I am the Violence

Spring 1001 – Vinland

Elijah watched as Hale toddled across the field, his mother carefully watching to ensure his foot did not get snagged on any weeds or twigs. Although Elijah had carefully scoured the area to ensure no such obstacle existed before they had set Hale loose.

"It has been months, Elijah," Tatia had once again brought up the one trouble their courtship seemed to be unable to shake.

"I know," he murmured. "I only ask for a little more time. Please be patient with me, darling."

She sighed, just like he knew she would. Just like she did every time he asked for more time. Since her arrival to their village, Tatia had caught the eye of more than just Elijah. But it was Elijah's little brother, Niklaus, that he was concerned about. Niklaus had declared himself in love with the woman after less than a fortnight of her arrival and continued to hold steady to his infatuation. Elijah reassured Tatia that he would move on sooner or later. He had found himself infatuated with numerous women over the years and none of them had lasted.

"Elijah, I want to start a life with you," she pleaded. "I want us to start a family and build a home together. None of which we can do if you do not tell your family."

"I know," he whispered again, kissing her gently on the nose. "Just a little more time and I promise he will move on. You know how painful heartbreak can be, I cannot be the reason my brother suffers his first."

****

January 2014 – New Orleans, Louisiana

Her dark waves fell in front of her face as she hurried down the street. She refused to let her emotions show as she pushed past tourists on her way back to the compound. Hayley wasn't sure what she had expected from her encounter with Elijah. That is until she saw him. She realized part of her believed he would simply turn his humanity back on rather than harm her.

She supposed he hadn't actually harmed her, which was good news. Elijah didn't seem to be out of control. Maybe he was telling the truth. If they just let him be, he would be fine and leave them alone.

Hayley sent a quick text to Rebekah and Klaus to update them on her failed mission. The only thing it had done was alert Elijah that Klaus did in fact have the white oak stake.

Not far from the church Marcel had converted into a gym, Hayley felt the hair on the back of her neck rise. Trying not to glance behind her, she slowed her pace to see if the figure she had clocked behind her would follow suit. She knew it wasn't Elijah, the height and build of the man stalking her were different.

She ducked into the alley and nearly ran into the scaffolding from a painting project the building must have been undergoing. It only took her a moment to assess the situation. She knew she had to act quickly before the unknown assailant caught up. Gently rolling an empty paint can down the alley, she launched herself onto the roof of the building. Hopefully, her distraction would buy her enough time to figure out who her would-be assailant was.