xxi.ii Pleading

January 2014 – New Orleans, Louisiana 

Astra shoved through the crowded streets of New Orleans, Cami close behind her, a brand new daylight ring adorning her finger.

The Mikaelsons were on the move and with the Strix still in town, Astra knew they would be preparing for battle. It would behoove her to attack while they were distracted, yet she waited.

While she knew where the majority of the Mikaelsons were, Elijah was still in the wind. Last she had heard Elijah had left to go rescue Hayley. So either Elijah had slaughtered the lot of them or they somehow were holding him. The latter was preferable. No matter what Nik did, Elijah would defend him. It was better that he was out of the way for the time being.

Which is what brought her to the quiet alley off of the bustling streets. A figure stepped out from the shadows to greet the two women, his hands raised, palms out, as if to show he didn't mean any harm.

"What have you found out?" she demanded, as Raphael moved into the light.

"Aya has released Hayley and the wolf," he began, clearly nervous about the information he had yet to impart. "They've also released Elijah, but you see–"

"Spit it out," Astra grew impatient with his floundering. They didn't have time for such games.

"Elijah's turned off his humanity," the words flew out of his mouth so quickly Astra wasn't sure she understood him correctly.

"So it's true," Astra mused. "I had always assumed they were still capable but so many older vampires said they weren't capable. None of the Originals have ever tried."

"Yes, I suppose it's easier for us to blame our age for our lack of humanity rather than hold ourselves responsible," Raphael replied calmly but his eyes were sizing up Astra in a way that made her skin crawl. "Are you alright?"

"Of course," she turned away from him, her dark curls falling behind her back as she moved.

"Astra, what's that mark on your neck?" He moved closer but she whirled around on him, her eyes flashing. "That looks like a Strix curse, I can help."

"I said I'm fine," the power in her words was enough to shake the very ground they stood on. "It is not a curse. It is a gift. I can finally see past the pointless compassion I've felt for the Mikaelsons and see them for what they truly are: monsters."

"You've always known who the Mikaelsons are," Raphael didn't attempt to close the distance again, but he did try to calm his own emotions down. If she was losing control of her magic, she would reach out to the nearest emotional source to recharge. The last thing he needed was for her to absorb his anxiety and fear. "But you care for them because they are your family."

"Being family doesn't give a person the right to destroy your life," Astra spat. "And now Elijah will finally understand that. Losing his humanity is the best thing for him."