xxxii. My Time Comes

Summer 1001 – Vinland

There was only darkness.

Elijah was never a man of faith, however, part of him had always imagined there would be something after death. Maybe it was just a hope that one day he and his siblings would find some type of peace that they hadn't been able to find in their childhood.

He didn't expect it to feel so cold.

All he could feel was a coldness surrounding him.

Yet that wasn't what had pulled him out of the darkness. It was a voice calling him back to the light. He was drawn to the voice, but with it came pain. An unimaginable pain that had him running back into the darkness.

The voice was relentless. It did not stop calling his name until his eyes were blinking rapidly in the dim light.

"Elijah, look at me," the voice implored. "Darling, please."

Whether it was the fear in her voice or the pain he was now feeling, his eyes focused on the woman leaning over him.

"You're going to be alright," Tatia wiped her hair out of her face, leaving a trail of red where her fingers brushed against her skin. In the moonlight, Elijah couldn't help but think she looked like a warrior. "What happened?"

He tried to focus on the words she was saying. What had happened?

His father had told him they needed to talk. The last thing he remembered was trekking out into the forest to meet him.

He groaned as a sharp stabbing pain ripped through his body. His father had stabbed him, he recalled. If he wasn't in so much pain, he may have laughed. He wasn't the first child Mikael had run through with his sword.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. Tatia had told him not to go. Begged him in fact. But he had been stubborn. He wanted to make things right with his father before he became a father himself. It had seemed important at the time. Now all he could think was that he wouldn't live long enough to see his child's first breath.

"You are not dying," she growled at him and he felt another sharp pain radiate through him as she pressed her hands down harder. "I am not raising two children on my own."

She was right. He wouldn't abandon her. Not now. Not when they were finally getting the life they both wanted.

"Astra," he gasped out through gritted teeth. "Astra, can save me."

****

July 2014 – New Orleans, Louisiana

Aya had always been fascinated by New Orleans. A city with so much culture and history that she was forbidden from setting foot in.

For as long as the city has existed, it had belonged to the Mikaelsons. No member of the Strix dared to set foot in their territory lest they start a war they were not prepared to finish. How can you defeat an enemy that cannot be killed, after all.