xxxiii. Nothing Ever Lasts Forever

Summer 1001 - Vinland

Tatia had burst into Astra's home, waking her from her restless sleep. The two women locked eyes and Tatia only needed to utter a word, "Elijah."

Astra hadn't even bothered getting dressed. She threw on a cloak over her sleeping gown and took off after Tatia into the woods.

The fear in Tatia's eyes was enough to tell Astra just had bad the situation was. Elijah was in trouble and needed her.

They were deep in the forest by the time Tatia slowed down, glancing around frantically.

"He must be around her somewhere," she muttered, angrily. "It all looks the same in the dark."

"I'll find him." Astra tried to calm Tatia down by resting a gentle hand on her arm. Her magic reached out into the dark night. She typically couldn't sense emotions that were too far from her, but it was Elijah. The person she was most familiar with. She was convinced she could find him no matter where he was.

And sure enough, she felt a calmness coming from farther into the woods.

Grabbing Tatia's hand, she pulled the woman with her. Letting Elijah's emotions guide her. Before she even got to him, she knew it was bad.

While his base emotions were still there, it was mixed in with pain and fear. So much pain.

She blindly followed until she came to a small clearing where she saw a dark figure on the ground.

She flung herself at him, landing hard on her knees where Elijah lay, his breathing shallow.

"I'm here," she murmured as she stroked his cheek. She grabbed the pouch of herbs she kept in her cloak, and rooted around until she found the right ones. The sense of familiarity was strong. The amount of times she had to heal Elijah from some wound or another.

She shoved some in his mouth and began to whisper the words over him as she held her hands out to summon her magic, attempting to brace herself from what was sure to come.

The pain was intense. Elijah's wound must have been worse than what she had even anticipated.

"I won't be able to heal him completely," she gasped out. "But enough to move him."

A whimper slipped through her slips and Tatia wrapped her arms around the witch.

"What's happening?" Tatia asked, alarm in her voice.

"Just don't let go." Astra cried out and Tatia's arm tightened around her as she whispered words of comfort to both Elijah and Astra.

****

July 2014 - Manosque, France

The wooden panels of the floor were cold on her cheek but she didn't mind. It was a nice contrast to the heat that had overcome the apartment when Elijah's body had burst into flames. It had only lasted moments, but it had felt like an eternity. Her best friend, the man she loved more than life itself, was engulfed in flames and there was nothing she could do to save him.