Prologue.

The Reynolds mansion was in a very busy state that evening.

Every single servant seem to be in a hurry, and the entire mansion was bustling with activity.

The reason for this was that the fourth wife of Duke Arthur Reynolds III, was in labor.

The excitement was heavy among the servants, the anxious wives remained in their rooms waiting for the result of what the fourth wife would produce.

Duke Arthur was in his large study, pacing about as he waited anxiously.

After years of waiting this might actually be the time, the time when he would finally have a son, an heir to his fortune.

He had already birthed fifteen daughters and it was finally time for a son. Duke Arthur could hardly wait.

Soon, the head servant rushed into his study, a look of shock and disbelieve on his face.

Duke Arthur held his breath as he awaited the expected news, "so," he urged the head servant "what did my fourth wife birth?"

First the head servant was silent and Duke Arthur feared the worst, but then a wide smile cross the servants face and he replied "a son sire, the fourth mistress has birthed you a son. Congratulations master!!" The servants said happily as he fell on his face bowing to the Duke.

Arthur collapse to his arm chair in a stunned silence. He gaze into nothingness in disbelieve. "a son?" He muttered like he couldn't believe his own words, "my very own heir" there was now tears of joy in his eyes "I must see for myself" he stood up and rushed out of his study, the head servant followed behind him quickly.

Arthur arrived at the room where his wife had just given birth. Ignoring the servants who were clearing up the room, his eyes focused on the beautiful dark haired woman seated on the bed with a baby in her arms, a baby wrapped in fine cotton blanket.

The servants in the room bowed to the Duke but he ignored them all as he approach his wife on the bed. He sat beside her on the edge, staring fixly at the bundle of joy in her arms.

"Is it true my lady? Have you given me an heir?"

Lady Ivy smiled tiredly, her green eyes bright with joy "it is as you see it my Lord. After years of waiting and patience, God has finally bestowed his blessings on us"

"Indeed," there was tears in Arthur's eyes. He could hardly believe that this is real "can I hold him?"

Gladly, Lady Ivy handed the little baby carefully to Arthur. She had never seen the Lord so happy as he stared at his new born child.

"My heir, my joy, my pride, my everything" Arthur chanted words of praises to the new born. The baby shifted a little and made a cute sound. Arthur laughed loudly, so loud that the servants joined in. With the warmest look anyone has ever seen on him, Arthur whispered "Ashton, I shall name you Ashton my son. That was the name of my grandfather. He was the best at everything he does and you shall be just like him. I shall make you the best of everything he was. I love you my son"

****
(Earlier)

"Its a girl my lady" the mid wife sadly informed lady Ivy.

Despite her tired limps, the look of disappointment still appeared on her face, her eyes clouded with tears.

"A girl mother!!" She cried to another woman who stood beside the bed. She had on a stoic expression on her face. Not a single warmth was present in her eyes, even as her daughter cried on "My lord would now see me as nothing more but a disappointment, just like his other wives!"

"That will never happen!" The older woman snap coldly "Lord Arthur favors you more than his other wives. We can not let that change"

"Then what do you suggest we do?! I cannot magically turn my girl child into a male child!!"

The older woman's eyes furrowed in thought before a look of determination cross her features "yes you can Ivy, you can change your female child to a male child"

"And how in God's name is that possible?!" Lady Ivy almost yelled, but she was too tired to raise her voice.

"Arthur do not have to know that you birthed a girl" the mother's eyes were fixed on a confused Ivy "all we have to do is tell everyone that you birthed a son"

Ivy gasp in shock "but that is impossible mother. There are servants here who would bear witness"

The older woman's lips curve in a mischievous smile "there is nothing a few gold coins won't solve"

Ivy was hesitant but she was desperate "are you sure that this is a good idea mother. If Lord Arthur finds out, he would surely have our heads on his gallows"

"Who would tell him?" The older woman urged on "it is the only way for you to maintain your position as the favorite wife. Do you want to lose that position Ivy?"

Lady Ivy remain quiet as she thought about it. Was she ready to lose her position as the favorite wife all because she birthed a girl like his other wives?

She wasn't ready for that, she wasn't ready to be laughed at by the other wives.

"No mother. I want to remain his favorite wife!"

"Good choice my dear." To the servant girl in the room she said "deliver the news all over the mansion that the fourth lady of the house has delivered a son" with that she threw a small pouch of gold coins at the servant who quickly caught it and cradle it to her chest.

"Yes my lady" and with that she ran out of the room.

The mid wife was also given a share for her silence before servants were called in to clear the room.

The mansion was filled with joy and excitement as the news of Lord Arthur's heir spread through the mansion, through the town and then through the city, but not long after Ashton was born, the mid wife died of a mysterious illness, and the servant girl who had carried the news all over the mansion went missing.