CHAPTER 5.

That night Ashton could not sleep so she stood awake, staring at the moon through her open window.

After that night where her mother had caught her coming back home after sneaking out of the mansion, she has not been fond of going out especially to places so far away from home. It was something Ashton has never done before, it was too risky for her secret and Ashton wondered how she would survive in a strange new place without getting exposed.

As she stared at the moon, a million thoughts filled her head, and for some reason one of those thoughts happens to be about a girl she had met ten years ago. A girl who had made her happier than anyone in the mansion ever made her, a girl who Ashton promised to return to but never kept her word.

Every time Ashton thought about Isla guilt fills her heart. She should have never made that promise in the first place and gave her hope. That was Ashton's mistake.

Even though she was not able to see Isla again after that day, Ashton always thought about her, that lovely smile and that kiss on her cheek, they were hard to forget.

"you cannot sleep?"

Startled Ashton's head whipped towards the direction of the voice and found her sister Ava standing there by her door in her night dress. Thank God Ashton was not in a compromising situation.

"Ava why are you here? You should be in bed"

Ava walked into the room closing the door behind her. She collapse on Ashton's bed with her arms spread out "you know if you had just told father that you do not want to take on your responsibility yet, he would have given you some more time"

"I did not want to give him a reason to be suspicious of me. I have stalled for too long"

"True" Ava sighed and changed position on the bed. She rest her elbow on the bed and supported her chin with her hand staring at Ashton "you should have just come to the world as a girl like the rest of us and all these would have been avoided" she chuckled at her own joke oblivious to that fact that even as a girl, Ashton was not able to escape that fate.

"I guess it would have been avoided if I did" she agreed, smiling lightly at the irony.

Ava sighed again "I wish father would let me go with you and Theodore but I know he would never agree"

"Yes he will not. You should stay home and find yourself a worthy man. You do know that after sister Emma gets marries the attention will be on you"

She pouted "I know that, but I am not ready to get married. Marriage seems scary. I never see my sisters anymore"

"You do know that you can always visit them right?"

"Yes but I am too lazy to do that, and visiting Willow is hell, the twins loves pulling pranks" Ava shuddered at the thought of her five year old nieces.

"That I understand" Ashton had been there once and it was not funny. She left with so many bruises thanks to Willows twin daughters.

After willow and Sienna got married, Ava and Ashton grew close. Ava confessed that she had always wanted to be close to her brother. The two created a bond and Ashton opened up to her about how she was not interested in the family fortune. It felt good to be close to at least one of her sisters, especially Lady Freya's daughter.

"you still have a choice though" Ava said out of the blue "you can always tell father that you do not like the lady. I am sure father will not force you if you do not like her'

Ashton had already thought about that and it is what she plans on doing. After all no other girl could ever capture her heart in the way Isla did that day outside the mansion.

***

"I just came back from an exhausting trip with my father and not a day passed properly and I heard I will be going on another with you?" Theo complained as they both saddled their horses, getting ready for the departure.

The trip to St John's City will take them maybe three to four days before getting to their destination.

"It is your job, deal with it" Ashton continued to saddle her horse without paying him a glance. Her heart was still troubled by going so far away from home.

Theodore snorted playfully "why do you think I am not complaining"

Ashton gave him a deadpan look "you are not?"

He rolled his eyes "that is not the point Ashton. I am just saying, I just got back from an important trip to the palace, I should be resting not babysitting"

Ashton stared at him in mock hurt "you sure know how to break hearts Theo" she looked away at the panicked look on Theodore's face. If she kept staring at him, she might burst out in laughter.

"common on Ash you know I did not mean that" his tone was softer now and Ashton was finding it hard to hold in her laughter. Why does he always fall for this? She had faked sadness so many times in order to guilt trip him and he always falls for it.

She could not help but burst into laughter when she looked at him again and saw the kicked puppy expression on his face. Theodore frown at her "why are you laughing?"

"because you are just so dumb and sensitive Theo. You did not really believe that you hurt my feelings with those childish words did you?"

Theodore did not think it was funny at all "that was so not funny Ashton, I really thought I had offended you"

"You deserve it" she pulled on the reins of her horse and led it out of the stable.

Her family had already gathered to bid her goodbye. Lord Arthur was the first to address her . he patted her shoulder firmly "have a safe trip son and be sure to leave a good impression on the Herbert family. Make sure not to ruin the family name"

"Yes father" she nodded.

Her mother however hugged her and then whispered into her ear "be careful Ashton. Make sure no one finds out about your secret. Do not disappoint me"

"Yes mother"

Lady Freya patted her head gently with a soft smile on her face "be safe dear and do not stop being the good boy that you have always been"

Ava who stood by her mother scoffs loudly "Ashton was never a good boy to begin with"

Ashton ruffled her hair just to spite her. She knew how much Ava hated anyone touching her hair "you are just jealous that I am not a brat like you"

"Hey do not touch me, do not forget I am older than you" she snap slapping Ashton's hand away.

"You do not act like it"

Before Ava could argue further, Lady Freya stepped in "okay that is enough of you two. Ashton you still need to leave early"

"Ah yes. Please take care of yourself lady Freya and you take care of her Ava" she gave Ava a pointed look to which Ava rolled her eyes, and soon Ashton and Theodore were on their way to St John's City with no other escort but themselves.