CHAPTER 2

Isla

Isla.

Theodore could not believe his eyes. Standing before him was Ashton and yet not Ashton at the same time. When Ashton told him his idea of disguising himself as a girl and sneaking out of the mansion, Theodore had thought that it was a ridiculous idea, but now seeing Ashton dressed in a beautiful gown belonging to one of the maids, he was no longer doubting the plan.

Ashton long hair was loosed from its pony tail and the only thing off about the look was his dark boots because even Ashton himself look like a girl in that moment.

Theodore was awestruck.

"Wow Ashton. I never notice you were this pretty"

Ashton frown slightly "I am unsure if I should take that as an insult or as a compliment"

"It is both an insult and a compliment. You are way too pretty for a boy" Theodore said, eyes still wide in awe.

Ashton rolled her eyes. If she acted nonchalant she was sure he would not notice a thing. Theo can be dumb like that "anyway I have to go. The sooner I leave the sooner I get back"

Theodore came out of his awestruck state and nodded "yes, be sure to return before sundown okay. The fourth lady is scary and I am not ready to be at the receiving end of her wrath.

"Do not worry Theo you will not be scolded by mother this time. I will make sure I get back before sun down" she patted her friend on the back and left hurriedly.

As Ashton stepped out of her room, she took a deep breath to calm her nerves. The hallway leading down to the sitting room was empty. The servants had finished up most of their chores around there for the day. Moreover, after the Florence incident, her mother never let maids around her like she usually does.

Ashton made sure to peep from behind the walls separating the sitting room and the hallways to make sure that the coast was at least clear of her mother.

All she saw were servants moving around, getting one or two things done, but then lady Freya was also there and Ashton was scared to move.

Lady Freya is the second lady of the mansion and the most beautiful if Ashton was to be honest. She is soft spoken and extremely nice, the exact opposite of her cruel and selfish mother.

Whenever Lady Freya passed by the training ground at times, Ashton always stared at her in awe because she always walks with an air of elegance, confidence and poise. Ashton had always admired her. The way her green eyes sparkle when she is happy, the way her long brown hair sways lightly with the wind when she walks.

Ashton has always believed that she was an angel on earth. She was one of the reasons Ashton realize that she was more interested in women than in men.

Lady Freya's daughters Willow, Sienna and Ava were also seated there with her. They all seem like they were having a very happy discussion. Ashton was jealous; she could never be like that with her own mother.

Ignoring the sight, Ashton built up the courage to walk past them. She made for the direction of the exit with quick hurried steps but she was not so lucky because her sister Willow stopped her in that moment.

"Listen can you please get us a kettle of warm tea? I am feeling suddenly thirsty"

Ashton paused in her steps shivering slightly. What would she do now? If she listens to Willow and leave for the direction of the kitchen there was no doubt that she might run into her mother and that was the last thing she wanted to do.

"And some biscuits too" Ava piped in excitedly.

"No biscuits Ava. We will be having dinner soon, there is no need to stuff yourself" Sienna said with a disapproving glare in her younger sister's direction.

"Let her be Sienna. If my little baby wants biscuits she will have biscuit" Willow cooed at Ava and Sienna said nothing else after that. They both respected Willow so much and did not dare talk back at her for anything at all, and it annoyed Sienna that Willow loves to pamper Ava a lot.

Sienna could just not keep her mouth shut about it "you know she is not a baby right? She is eleven years old. Even all our ten year old sisters are not being treated like children. You are spoiling her Willow" she poured out in a bitter tone.

"Do not be harsh to your sister Sienna. I will ask the maid to get biscuit for you too" Willow smiled kindly and Sienna looked away crossing her arms in defiance.

"I never said I wanted some" she tried to hide her smile but failed.

Apparently, Sienna was just jealous that Ava was receiving all the attention from Willow. Just like her mother, Willow was the kindest of all her sisters. She is the seventh daughter of Duke Arthur who just celebrated her eighteenth birthday a few weeks ago. She is really playful and cheerful too, a personality that made many people love her so much.

Ashton would have been really close to her if her mother was not so against her associating with anyone. Willow is really the only one among her sisters who makes an effort to talk to her at times.

"Girls the poor maid seems to be on an errand already, did you not notice that she was heading for the exit?" Lady Freya's soft voice broke through the air and she accompanied it with a sweet smile. Her smile seems to grow wider as she address Ashton "it is okay dear, go on your way. We will find someone else to bring us tea"

Ashton would have thanked her, but she was not ready to risk them hearing her voice, instead she lowered her head in thanks and hurried out of the mansion.

That was so close, but thank God she made it out. There were guards and maids all over the place, but Ashton kept her head down and made sure her steps were steady and unsuspicious she walked towards the gates. It was a pain to walk around wearing a gown because she was not used to it but she tried her best to keep her steps straight.

The moment she made it out through the gates, she increased the speed to her steps and soon found herself running, getting farther and farther away from the mansion until she was sure it was out of sight.

This was a life time opportunity and she was going to make the most of it.