CHAPTER 19.

"Isla what is the matter? You have been spacing out" Catherine said to her friend in concern. They were both seated on Isla's veranda having tea on a warm afternoon. Catherine had been talking and talking but it seems like Isla was troubled by something and she have not been listening.

Isla heaved a tired sigh. After yesterday, she could not stop thinking about Ashton and that look on his face. Oddly enough, Isla felt very guilty for saying all those things to him. She did not feel this way when she denied him a dance at Catherine's birthday party.

What changed?

"I am fine Catherine," she said "I am just feeling a little under the weather." She was not ready to admit that she was feeling guilty about hurting Ashton's feelings, not to Cat.

"You look well to me though" the red haired said and Isla glared at her so she dropped the topic. "anyway I was talking about a party tonight. A friend invited me and I will be happy if you came too"

Isla rolled her eyes. Catherine and her love for parties. Anyway she was not going to refuse the invitation, maybe this was the chance she needed to get over this ridiculous feeling of guilt she felt towards Ashton, "Okay I will be there"

Ashton came out of the house in that moment looking really handsome in his well-dressed coat, and with a charming smile on her face. He certainly did not look like someone who got his heart broken just yesterday. His smile widen when he saw them seated there. It seems like Isla had been worried for nothing.

"Afternoon ladies!" Ashton greeted brightly.

"Afternoon Lord Ashton, you are looking really handsome today" Catherine said back cheerfully.

"Thank you Lady Catherine, I am actually on my way out for an afternoon walk. Do not let me disturb your tea time.

He made to go but Catherine called him back "Lord Ashton, there is going to be a party tonight and you are invited. I promise it is really going to be fun"

Ashton hesitated, Isla had noticed that he was not a fan of parties from day one, so she was surprised when he agreed "sure Lady Catherine, I will be there" he smiled again "I will be leaving now, have a nice day" and he was gone.

Isla hated the fact that Ashton avoided looking at her throughout that entire conversation.

Wait, why does she even care?!

"What is wrong with Lord Ashton? He used to be all love sick around you but just now he did not even look at you, or even say a word to you" Catherine pointed out curiously.

Isla shrugged trying to sound uncaring "I assume he is finally starting to realize that he does not have a chance with me." She picked up her cup of tea and took a sip.

Catherine's expression was sympathetic "aww poor man. At least he is taking it well"

And that was exactly what bothered Isla. It did not seem at all like Ashton was affected by all she had said to him yesterday, and now Isla was bothered by the possibility that maybe Ashton did not care enough in the first place.

But the real bother was, why is she even bothered by that?!

***

"Wow someone is looking so good tonight" Theodore praised as he watched Ashton come down the stairs. Ashton was dressed in his usual fitted red suit with similar color breeches. She had her hair jelled back and she was looking prettier than ever. The servant girls passing by were giggling and blushing at the sight of her.

"You do not look so bad yourself Theodore." Theodore was also dressed to please and Ashton was no doubt impressed "Do you want to come with us to the party?" Ashton asked.