CHAPTER 22.

Isla woke up very happy the next morning; even the servants could tell that there was something different about Lady Isla today. She greeted them first, and there was a gentle jump to her steps. Even as she leaned on the railing of her veranda watching the trees sway gently and the birds sing, that smile on her face was different.

Everything felt so refreshing after talking to Ashton last night. It felt like a heavy weight had been lifted off her chest. She had a good dream and there was a permanent smile on her face since last night, especially when she remembered how the rest of the night went last night.

They never went back to the party which was a good thing. Ashton took her away from there after saying goodbye to Catherine, and they stroll through town a little before taking a carriage back home. All the while, their conversations were pleasant and it felt like all the bad thoughts and words faded away like it was never there, all because of Ashton.

The object of her thoughts joined her in that moment "you are up early, my Lady"

Isla's heart glowed at the sight of him. He was in a loose shirt tucked into his breeches, and his hair was a bit messy probably due to the fact that he just woke up. Isla could not deny that he looked really good, especially does blue eyes that were shinning so bright.

She regain control and said "you too Lord Ashton. You are up early."

He lifted his bow and arrows to her "my usual morning exercise" he explained "Theodore is still asleep, would you like to join me?"

"I can't really shoot arrows. You know that right?"

"You can always learn. I will teach you"

Isla could not say no to those eyes "fine then, let us go"

As they walked side by side, Ashton asked "how was your night Lady Isla?"

"Splendid!" she replied without a moment of hesitation, and Ashton smiled gently.

"That is a relief."

They got to the archery ground and Isla sat on a huge rock watching Ashton as he shot the arrows towards the bull's eyes without missing a target. She nodded slowly at him, impressed at his skill.

After his fifth arrow, he turned towards her "want to give it a try?"

Isla stood up "well, it looks easy". She walked towards him and took the bow from him. Then she took out a single arrow and positioned it on the bow, but her hold was sloppy.

"Not like that Isla" Ashton came behind her to carefully adjust her hold on the bow and the arrow. Isla's breathe hitch as she felt his breath on her ear. He shifted her hand on the bow a bit and then helped her adjust her hold on the button of the arrow. "much better" he said and moved away. Isla immediately missed his warmth.

"So how do I target the bulls' eye?" she asked still holding unto it.

"Um, just focus on the dot and then set the arrow free I think" he scratch the back of his neck unsure.

"You think?" Isla scoff, and then let it free. The arrow whizzes forward and it stuck the bottom of the round wooden board, nothing close to the bulls' eye.

Ashton chuckled "well that is amazing for a first timer"

Isla handed him his bow and return to sit on the rock "are you sure you are not just being nice?"

"No, my sister never struck the board even on her third try, but you did on your first. That is amazing"

Isla suddenly realized something "you know I never really got to ask you about yourself, and your family. I literally know nothing about you."