CHAPTER 10.

With every pressure on her waist, Ashton groaned in pain. She was lying face down on her bed with her night shirt lifted above her waist showing off a little skin. Theo applied gentle pressure all around her waist with his hands. He had insisted when Ashton complained about it, but now she was starting to regret it. What if he notices something?

Theo sighed when Ashton groaned again "lady Isla is cruel to have done such a thing to you Ash. First she made her father's horse fling you across the stable and into a pile of horse dung, and then she let you walk around town with heavy loads and an aching waist. That is inhuman my friend. Maybe you should talk to Lord Arthur and return home as soon as possible. Lady Isla obviously do not like you"

Ashton sat up pulling down her shirt. Theo was already watching her with a hopeful look. She knew he was worried about her but she was not ready to leave. "That is what Lady Isla wants Theodore. She wants to chase me out of her father's house and I will be giving into what she wants if I leave like some scared coward"

"That is not the point," Theo protest "she does not deserve you. You should not stay here trying to prove anything to her. The fact that she did this, shows that she is not even worth the try"

Ashton was no longer listening to Theo, she knew Isla; what Isla is doing now was putting up a front so she would not get married to Ashton. Ashton was going to get through to her just like she had done when they were little.

Ashton could not tell Isla who she was, she hoped they could start afresh so she will slowly gain Isla's trust little by little.

To Theodore she said "all my life no woman has ever challenged me like Lady Isla has done. I do not just want to prove myself to her Theo; I want to win her over"

"This is not a game my friend, she will not give in"

"I know it is not a game and it is going to be hard, but I am willing to try whatever it takes to get her. For once let me enjoy the thrill of chasing after a woman and not the other way around"

Theodore shook his head in defeat as he stood up to retire to his own room for the night "do not say I did not warn you" He warned and was gone.

Ashton relaxes on her bed. Theodore will soon realize that Isla was not bad news. There was no need for him to worry about her. After leaving the tea shop on their way home, Ashton thought deeply about it. Maybe this was her chance to start anew with Isla, maybe this was her chance to win Isla's heart just as she had always dreamed.

A relationship between two women was forbidden in Windfall, maybe her disguise as a boy is a blessing indeed so she could be with Isla. For years Ashton dreamt about meeting Isla again, maybe this is a dream come true for Ashton.

Ashton was willing to take the risk and see where this would lead to.

***

Despite her pleas and request for Theodore to come with her to the party, Theo bluntly refused. Even the puppy dog eyes did not work this time because the idiot refused to bulge "I am sick of parties and gatherings. I will just stay back and laze around" he had said.

Ashton had dressed in her most expensive tail coat, breeches and a hat. She made sure she was dressed smartly and even Ashton could not deny that she was looking really dashing.

She walked out of the room and joined the others in the living room downstairs and everyone pause to stare at her for a moment. Even the servants stopped what they were doing to admire her. "Goodness gracious Lord Ashton, you are looking so handsome" Lady Eliana gush excitedly like a teenager.

"Your looks are quintessential compare to that of other men. You are the perfect man for my little girl" Lord Herbert praised and Ashton felt embarrassed with all the stares and words of praise.

"Thank you my lord and lady" she looked around and realize Isla's absence "where is lady Isla?"

"She is still getting ready. She will be out soon" Lord Herbert replied.

In that moment, Isla emerged from her room upstairs, and when Ashton saw her she stumbled a bit.

Isla was wearing a cream colored layered dress that was slightly off the shoulder, her hair was dressed beautifully and decorated with petals of pink and red flowers, her ears and neck were decorated with beautiful jewelries and Ashton was drooling. She was shamelessly staring because it was impossible to look away from this perfect master piece that was Isla.

"Close your mouth lord Ashton, an insect might mistake it for its house" Isla smirk using a single finger to lift Ashton's jaw to shut her slightly open mouth.

Ashton recovered from her daze staring "Lady Isla," she breathed out "you look extremely beautiful tonight"

"Yes I know" Isla turned to her parent "shall we go?'

As Isla walked ahead of them, Ashton stared after her wondering how she was going to keep sane tonight with Isla looking so magnificent.

Two carriages were already prepared to take them to the party, one for Isla's parent and the other for Isla and Ashton. Isla did not particularly like this arrangement but she could not protest because her father was unwilling to hear any refusal from her.

Ashton felt like a complete dummy tonight, Isla's dummy to be precise. Ashton heart was all over the place as she held Isla's hand to help her into the carriage. That tiny touch made her feel like her brain was melting away, she could not think straight. She was silently begging for Isla's attention all through the carriage ride. She tried to get Isla to talk to her by bringing up meaningless and ridiculous conversations that makes absolutely no sense, just a bunch of ramblings.

Isla of course ignored her completely; in fact she did not say a single word to Ashton all through the carriage ride. Isla was mad at Ashton; she could not help but hate him so much. She did everything in her power to make him uncomfortable; she spent days hurting his pride by and feelings with her actions, nasty words and insults.

The fact that Ashton seems unaffected by all her attempts and is still acting like a love sick fool annoyed her. He was still trying to get close to Isla and that irritated her. Why could he not get the hint and just leave her alone. No man had ever last a week at her father's mansion. She hoped Ashton would not be that man.

They arrived at the party and lord Herbert and lady Eliana got lost in a crowd of important people leaving Ashton and Isla to themselves.

The party was filled up with elegantly and smartly dressed guest. It felt so foreign to be at a party again after a long time. Ashton hoped that nothing stupid would happen like it always does in the past, especially with Isla by her side.