Chapter 12

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it"-Robin Williams

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since there are multiple couples in this story, here's a memory refresher.

Lead couple -> Tara & her fiancee, Sid

Sid's ex-girlfriend - Mythili
Manav's ex-girlfriend - Jhanvi (dated through college and broke up a year ago)

Manav & his office crush, Sneha
Dev & his fiancee, Priya
Ravi & his wife, Manvi
Mathew & his live-in girlfriend, Kiara

Please note the following words that will be used from here, onwards

Appa = Father

Amma = Mother

Anna = Elder brother

Anni = Sister-in-law

Thambi = Younger brother

Akka = Elder sister

Thaatha = Grandfather

Sid's POV

With only four months to go, Tara and I hardly spoke to each other, occupied with arranging our lives. We did send each other a brunch of marriage memes almost every day. Even Instagram seems to know that I'm getting married soon. My parents have been sending me a couple of pre-marriage photoshoots for us to imitate/ choose. To be honest, most of the photos look staged, corny, and cheesy.

Tara explained to me the logic behind the targeted ads and their algorithm, however, they all went over my head.

However, for the past week, there was no contact between Tara and me. Tara did say that she was wrapping up a big project at work and would be busy. And then another week of radio silence followed. Can't she even find some time off her computer screen to at least send me a message?

Back in my parent's house, I watched as Dev and Priya told us about their day and that they have been planning a college fest together. On how it was not going as planned and causing a lot of headaches. I really envy their relationship. They were friends and slowly their friendship evolved into love. Personally, I think that it's the best kind of love. The way they are co-dependent on each other yet secure in being independent.

After dinner, thaatha called me to his room and I found him going through old photo albums.
"You were off during dinner. What's wrong?" - he asked me.
"Nothing" - I lied.
He looked at me pointedly and said -" I have watched you grow for the past 29 years. I can definitely tell when you are feeling sad. What's wrong?"

"Seeing Dev and Priya talk during dinner as a team, I couldn't help with comparing them with me. Tara and I have not spoken to each other in two weeks. I feel so unneeded. She can do everything for herself and she doesn't need me. For anything"
Thaatha reasoned- "That's because she's the only child. Raised to be self-sufficient and she is used to taking care of her things."
I argued - "But I want to do something for her."
"I am sure that you just being there for her, is more than enough." - Thaatha said rather firmly.

(Two days later)
I just returned back home from a rather long shift. I thought I will sleep at my parent's house but I'm so tired to travel the distance so went to my house instead.
The clock read 11 pm. I checked my WhatsApp and Tara was online. And so, I decided to call her, which she declined. The audacity !! She didn't call in the past two weeks and when I let go of my ego & ring her up, she declines.
But, this time a message from her followed surprisingly.

I'm tired. Will call you tomorrow

I honestly didn't care if she was tired. I'm damn exhausted after pulling an all-nighter. Also, how does one get tired just sitting in front of a computer screen? Heard of physical labor, much ??
And so, I called her. Again.

"This better be urgent." - was the first thing she said as soon as she answered my call. Rude much?

Sid - "Nothing urgent. Just wanted to talk to you."

Tara, in a tired voice - "I will call you tomorrow then."

Sid - "Why are you avoiding me?"

Tara - "I'm not avoiding you. I have just been busy. Pretty sure that I messaged you."

I didn't get any message from her..

Sid, asked with a hint of anger and annoyance - "You work in front of a bunch of computers. Not some dying patients. How busy can you possibly get?"

I could tell that I have slightly annoyed her since I heard her take a deep breath

Tara replied uninterested and plainly -"I have been busy"