Chapter 18 - Nerves

James' POV

Why was I even nervous? It wasn't like I had ever been nervous before, or at least not in this way. I mean I had asked girls to Hogsmead before and then without begin the tiniest bit nervous. Maybe I hadn't been nervous then because I had been certain that I would get a yes. With Amanda anything could happen. I really hoped that she would agree to going to Hogsmead with me.

•••

Potions. The class where I would actually get time to ask her. I was freaking out.

"Could you chill yourself? Why are you even freaking out?", asked Alex Finnigan as we walked towards the class room. He was occasionally smiling towards different girls we passed, an for once I wasn't at all bothered with him. IT might have been because I was distracted.

"I'm going to ask a girl to go to Hogsmead with me", I mumbled the answer without thinking. I could hear Alex's laugh but I wasn't looking at him and therefor I didn't see it. The only thing I was able to focus on was Amanda.

"Are you seriously freaking out about something like that?", Alex asked in disbelief. I only shrugged and kept staring at the floor. We were almost there.

"Who even is this girl?", Alex then asked and I could almost hear the eye roll in his voice. Once again I didn't think twice about my answer.

"Amanda." Alex whistled impressed. That made me finally look up. Alex had was grinning and his eyebrows were raised.

"She's hot", Alex stated and his grin widened. I frowned at that. It bothered me that Alex thought that Amanda was hot. Alex was a jerk when it came to girls and I didn't even want him to think about her.

As soon as we entered the potions class room I went to my seat. The only thing I had to wait for was Amanda's arrival. A few short minutes later she stepped through the door. She was smiling as she walked towards me and sat down. Her hair was slightly wavy and a little messy. It made her look cute in an effortless way.

"Hi", she greeted me cheerfully as she sat down. I half smiled back at her and tried to collect all of the bravery inside of me so that I would be able to ask Amanda my question.

"Are you going to Hogsmead this weekend?", I started out. I sounded calm and not bothered at all. It was very good. Just nice and easy.

"Yeah, I'm so excited. From what I hear it's amazing", she beamed with a gleam in her eyes that spoke of happiness. I took a deep breath and leaned a little bit closer to Amanda. She looked at me wondering as to what my following actions would be.

"Do you want to go there with me?", I asked quickly before I could chicken out. My nerves had started to shine through my facade. I pulled my hand through my hair, roughing it up.

"You mean like a date?", she asked with an amused smirk. My eyes widened a little at the word date. Did she want it to be a date? It didn't matter, it was to late to hesitate.

"Yeah, like a date", I confirmed and breathed out heavily. I could only wait for her response.

Amanda's POV

I couldn't help but be as happy as I was. That day had been pretty good, and James asking me on a date only added up to the positive energy.

"Yeah, I want to go on date with you", I told him and turned to the front of the room to listen to what professor Slughorn was saying. Out of the corner of my eyes I could see James grin before turning to the front as well.