Chapter 21 - The Kiss

Amanda's POV

I dreaded leaving the common room. It was as if I was expecting James to be waiting just outside the passage. He wasn't. After Christina and Allison had dragged me outside of the common room I noticed that he wasn't hiding behind any corners, neither would he be jumping out and scaring me any time soon.

"Why are you freaking out like this?", Allison asked at last. We were standing in an empty corridor and my two friends were very curious and annoyed about my behavior.

I considered telling them about what I had done. Pros, they would know and they would be able to help me. Cons, they would know and possibly laugh at me. As I looked at their faces I was quite determined though.

"I sort of kissed James' cheek yesterday and I haven't seen him since. I kind of ran away straight after it happened", I told them in a voice filled with regret. Christina grinned while Allison only gaped at me.

"Shut up!", Christina giggled and hit my arm in excitement. Allison's reaction came only seconds later as her agape mouth turned into a smile. They both grabbed my arms and started to lead me away.

"You're so cute", Allison cooed and I was almost afraid that she would pinch my cheek.I sighed and waited for the girls to say something even more embarrassing.

"Merlin's beard, if the two of you don't get together after this I will make you", Christina laughed as we entered the Great Hall. At that point I was only feeling dread inside of me. Even if James had not been anywhere in the corridors, he would most certainly be by his table.

"I can't do this, I can't do this, I can't do this", I mumbled stressfully and unsuccessfully I tried to rip myself away from the two girls. I really didn't want to go in there and face the embarrassment of seeing James. Unfortunately I did not have a say in the matter of going in or not. Christina and Allison were very keen on getting me in there. After struggling to the point of people starting to look our way I stopped and walked freely to our table. Scorpius and Dolan greeted us from a few seats away, together with some other Slytherins.

Breakfast wasn't that bad. I had no problem keeping my eyes of the Gryffindor table this time. Actually I was looking at everything except that table. The only down side was Christina and Allison teasing me. That was until they suddenly grew very quite and instead only grinned at something behind my back. I was pretty sure of what they were seeing behind me.

"Amanda?" I was completely right. James' voice was clear as a day behind me and I hated myself as I turned around and faced him. He was looking both confident and calm as he waited for me to get up. He was the complete opposite of me. I was feeling like a train wreck.

"Yes?", I answered him stiffly. He seemed to notice my nervousness which caused him to show a sign that he was not as confident as he was trying to look. He pulled a hand through his hair and after knowing him that long I knew what it meant.

"Could we go and talk?", he asked and even though his facade had cracked, his voice had not. He still sounded as confident as ever. I knew that I would not be able to answer him in the same calmness. Therefor I just nodded and stood up to follow him. Instead of leaving the Great Hall, James only walked a few steps away from the tables before stopping.

"I've thought about what happened last night-", I didn't want to hear the rest of it. Obviously, I didn't think that he sounded very positive while speaking. That also led me to think that he was about to reject me.

"Can we just forget it? I didn't think and I'm sorry", I quickly interrupted James. My apology sounded rushed and like I didn't really mean, probably because I didn't. Maybe I rejected my actions, but I wasn't sorry for kissing his cheek.