Chapter 46 - Comfort

Amanda's POV

It was a nice day outside. The temperature had started to go up and the sun was shining through the clouds. James and I had felt that it would be nice to relish in this rare occasion and therefor spend our time after class outside. 

"I can't believe that it's only a couple of months left until this year is over", James spoke with his arm around my waist. We were walking the grounds together since we didn't feel like just sitting. James had started to lead me towards the lake and I could see how the water glittered when the sun hit it's surface. 

"Me neither. I can't understand that it's been a year since I first came here. Even though I've gotten pretty used to everything I still feel sometimes that I have no idea what's going on." I let my hand cover the one on my waist as I rested my head on James' shoulder. I had missed being close to James like that, especially being able to not feel guilt while being close to him. 

"What are you going to do after this year?", he wondered and looked down at me with curiosity, but also a bit of nervousness. He knew that my answer could be that I would never return to the magical world ever again, although that didn't really seem very realistic to me anymore. Even if I did want to leave I didn't think that I would be able to. 

"I don't know. I don't think I can go home after everything and I don't even think I can meet my mum. I'd like to think that there is still time to think about what to do after this year is done, but I guess I need to decide soon", I said before biting my lip in thoughtfulness. I really didn't know what to do with my parents. I hadn't had the time to think about them for a while, at the same time I didn't want to think about them. It would all be so much easier if I just didn't think about them and that I just tried to focus on something else. The year was going to end though and I would have to go somewhere after that. Going home wasn't an obvious option. I hadn't heard from my parents since before the Christmas holiday. I didn't even know if they wanted me home. 

"There is still some time. I do hope that I'll be able to see you, though", James said with a smile. I leaned up and pecked his cheek before answering.

"Of course you'll see me. We will be able to have a number of awesome dates, I promise you that." We stopped walking as James pulled me into his embrace. Both of his hands were at my waist and he was resting his forehead on mine. With a small, loving smile he leaned closer until our lips touched. They softly moved against each other as we both relished the familiar touch. We hadn't been this close for a while, but we still knew it. The feeling of his lips on mine felt like comfort. 

•••

Dinner had come and you were sitting with James at the Gryffindor table. It was probably against some of the rules, but you didn't really care. Neither did James. Neither did the rest of the house. Some of them had been a little bit reluctant to let you sit there at first, but after just one look at James they realized that things were okay. Alex was unusually happy about me being there. I even asked him about why his mood was so high.

"Well, when the two of you were experiencing your little bump I had to deal with this guy being really down. I'm a very up beat guy, you know, and having a mopey friend is not easy. He was literally watching you from here with this wistful and sad face. It's great that the two of you worked through your problems." I pouted at James when I heard Alex's words. I felt really bad about putting James in that spot and even though he had forgiven me the guilt stayed. I did also realize that it wasn't all my fault. That didn't matter though. I had still done what I had done and I felt bad about it.