Chapter 54 - Aftermath

Third Person's POV

The doors to the hospital room flew open as the two ladies entered. Both of them had the look of true worry and horror when they laid eyes on their friend in one of the beds. The one with short red hair put her hand towards her mouth as sadness washed over her. The older one turned towards the other bed where James Potter was, awake.

"How is she?", Gwen wondered before taking a seat in one of the chairs next to the bed. Rose took a seat next to her sister and immediately grabbed her nest friend's hand in hers. James looked from the older sister to his girlfriend. It pained him to see her in such a state. He had been so close to saving her, but of course he had to loose his grip. The guilt was eating him up.

"The doctor said that she'll be okay and that she only needs rest. They think she will wake up soon, although anything can happen", James truthfully told them. The fact that Amanda would be alright was one of the few things that calmed him. The drop had only been from the second floor and she had therefor not been that hurt. The neglect of food and water mixed with the torture had made Amanda fragile at the time. She had a couple of broken bones, but thankfully it wasn't that hard to mend bones. The doctor said it wouldn't take that long until Amanda would be able to leave. The first step however was that she woke up. 

"Are you okay?", Rose wondered as she glanced over her best friend's boyfriend. She had been told that James had tried to save Amanda when she fell and even if he had not done that she knew that James cared about Amanda a lot. She had been able to see it when she visited during the holidays, every time he had looked at her.

"There is nothing wrong with me but they still wanted to run a few tests. They are also keeping me here because they feel like this is a place where I'm safe. Don't really understand why though since I would have been just as safe without this horrible hospital gown." He was clearly not happy with being stuck in the hospital bed. He could leave, but if anyone saw him out of bed one more time they would probably tie him to it. 

"Understandable. I just wish that you guys had some miracle serum that could just make people wake up", Rose answered. James wished the same, but he also knew that magic couldn't do everything. No matter how much you wanted it to, magic was limited the same way everything else in the world was.

•••

Amanda's POV

It was all quiet. For a few moments I kept my eyes shut while I tried to figure out the confusion I felt inside. There was some sort of heaviness over my body and every time I took in a breath I felt how my ribs protested. I felt awful to be honest. Although I felt better than I had done before when I had been in the mansion. As I thought that it hit me. The fighting, James almost getting us away from Dominic, falling out the window. 

My eyes opened as I was both curious and interested in finding out what exactly had happened and where I was. What met my eyes weren't really that interesting. The room was dark and reminded me of the one I had been in the summer before when I got sick. The only thing that was different was James laying in the bed next to me, asleep. Seeing him like that made me understand that it was night, even though the darkness of the room should have done the same thing. 

I started moving different body parts, fingers; foots; neck. It worked although I suspected my right foot at least being sprained and my shoulder hurt incredibly. I had already guessed that at least one of my ribs were broken. Maybe those injuries mixed with the overall pain and stiffness of my body should have made me stay in my bed. It didn't. I really didn't feel like laying there like nothing, nor contacting a doctor, nor go back to sleep. I should have probably pressed the button to contact the doctors, but in that moment I actually couldn't care less about it. If I could survive falling out of a window I could probably survive a night when the hospital workers didn't know I had woken up.