Chapter 50 - The Messengers

Amanda's POV

A groan was heard and it was the thing that brought me out of unconsciousness. My mind didn't seem foggy nor was I confused about what had happened. I knew exactly what was going on. The only minor default I felt from Dominic knocking me out was tiredness. That was easily beaten. It wasn't as if I didn't beat tiredness every morning otherwise. 

"Amanda?", I heard James croak out and it immediately brought me to open my eyes. My eyes settled on James figure beside me and it made me jump slightly. Even though I had felt the soft mattress beneath us I hadn't expected us to be a bed, I guess I just hadn't registered what we were laying on. I definitely hadn't expected James to be about five centimeters from my face. 

"Oh my God!", I exclaimed as I sat up with a hand on my heart. James also got up, although he seemed a little bit more disorientated than me. We both looked around the room to take in our surroundings. To my surprise the room was a pretty fancy bedroom. It went in different shades of black and grey. The bed James and I was on was huge but still it didn't take up to much space in the great room. There were bookshelves, armchairs and even a pool table. The armchairs were put in front of a fireplace that currently was empty. 

"Maybe we should have had a plan B. What do we do now?", I wondered and looked at James. He seemed a little bit more awake but in his own thoughts. I had no idea what had happened to him, if it had been Dominic or someone else that had attacked him. All I knew was that we were in the messenger's lair.

Suddenly the door to the room flew up and hit the wall. In strode Dominic and a woman. She was wearing a black, long dress. Her hair was black and her eyes the most ice blue I had ever seen. A humorless smiled was etched on her face as she studied James and me. Dominic was only watching me, with some type of twisted look on his face. He almost looked giddy about what was going to happen. The two of them looked so weird standing next to each other. The woman completely calm and collected while he was filled with emotions.

"Kitty, you're coming with me", Dominic said while taking a step closer to him. I glanced towards James who was there to meet my eyes. I raised a questioning eyebrow and he answered with a look that looked dangerous. I formed the word 'fight' as discreetly as possible and he gave a nod. After that I got up from the bed.

"Whatever", I spoke as if I had given up and as if I was going to go with Dominic. He was watching me carefully, but when we had gotten to the door he seemed to relax. That was until I pushed him into the woman with so much power that both of them fell over each other.

"Run!", I called and James and I darted out of the room. It was a little bit funny but I didn't really have time to laugh at it at the moment. James grabbed my hand and we started to try and make our way towards the exit. There were two problems though. One, the house was huge. Two, we had no idea where we were going.

"Can't you apparate us from here?", I wondered while we hurried through the house. Curse words and footsteps followed us. Then James and I turned a corner and there was a set of stairs. Below those stairs a big entrance was visible. It made me rush even faster, dragging James with me.

"You know about apparition?", James wondered in surprise. I gave him a look while we quickly hurried down the stairs. He then understood that maybe my knowledge about the magical world wasn't really important at that moment.

"Right. I can try", James explained as we reached the entrance. He grabbed my hand and then nothing happened. James looked focused, but still we just stayed the same. I looked towards the stairs and saw how both the woman and Dominic were at the top of it, quickly closing in on us. Clearly the apparition didn't work, so I went to open the door. It wouldn't budge. When I looked towards the lock I could see that a key was needed to open it.