Chapter 42 - Things Aren't Alright

Amanda's POV

"Look! Isn't that your owl, Amanda?", Allison asked as we saw the flying creature coming towards us. It was Elle, my beautiful owl. I knew who the letter was from, even before the owl reached us. There weren't a lot of people that I sent letters to. Especially after I had started avoiding James a week ago.

"Yeah, it is! It must be Rose", I explained before taking a bite of the red vine in my hand. As the bird landed in front of me I carefully took the letter from it before giving it a few pets. Then I saw how it eyed my hand and reluctantly gave the last of the candy in my hand to Elle.

As I looked on the letter that it in fact was Rose. My name was scribbled in the messy handwriting of my best friend. A shadow of a smile reached my lips, which was basically the most anyone would get from me lately. I barely dared to look up towards the Gryffindor table where I knew James was sitting. I couldn't look at him while knowing how much I must have hurt and confused him.

Allison and Christina started discussing the homework they had gotten in charms. It was easy to drown out the sound of the whole hall, focusing completely on the letter in front of me. The first thing I saw when I opened the letter was the picture that had been put in there. It was a picture of Rose. She was sitting on a bench with a to-go cup in her hands. She was in complete winter gear, a white coat, mittens, scarf. She looked really cute in the photo. She was smiling with her lips closed, it almost looked a bit secretive. I turned the picture around and saw a few words scribbled on the backside of the picture.

A photo that Dominic took the other day when we were in the park. Since you haven't seen me in a while ;)

I pouted a little at the reminder that I weren't able to follow what my friend was doing. I hadn't even had any contact with the other friends that I had left behind. That was another sad thought for another time. I had other things to be sad about.

I took up the letter and prepared myself to read it. If I had acted that way just from seeing a picture of my best friend, I couldn't imagine how I would feel while reading the letter. I had to do it though. I wanted to do it, no matter how hard it would be.

Amanda,

I have so incredibly much to tell you! Not only have Dom and I been spending a lot of time together, I have gotten a job! I know, it's crazy. Me? Working? Those two words would have never been put together, but here I am. I've started working at the coffee shop and it's actually fun.

When I haven't been working and studying I've been with Dom. Gwen still doesn't know about him, but I think I'll tell her soon. Dom is just too sweet and polite! She can't not like him. Yesterday he surprised me by meeting me after work with flowers and he took me to a fancy restaurant. He always makes our dates special. I haven't met anyone who's ever taken that much thought in me or a relationship. It's nice.

I have also been out with the gang. We miss you at every party and especially when we go to the movies. It wasn't the same watching Avengers without you. We need to watch it when you come him win the summer! It was amazing and I can't believe they ended it the way they did. We need more Marvel movies!

I hope that you have it great at Hogwarts. I bet you and James can't be separated for a minute! I really miss you though and I can't wait until summer. Love you so much!

Rose.

I had to fight the tears by the end of the letter. It hurt much more than I had expected it too. The part about how my old of group of friends were still doing the things we used to do struck me hard. It just reminded me of the life I actually wanted to have. Also the part about Dom. That was the way I wanted it to be between James and me. I didn't want to have someone threatening lives. I didn't want anyone threatening me. All I wanted was a simple life, and it hurt to know that I wasn't going to have it. It also hurt that I knew that others around me had normal lives, even the people at Hogwarts. Magic was their normal. I only wanted to be somewhere where I felt as if I was like everyone else. Being special was overrated.

James' POV

I wanted to get up. I wanted to walk those meters to get to her. I wanted to ask her why. I wanted to ask her what was wrong. Because I knew that something was wrong. I knew that something was troubling her and weighing her down more than she wanted to admit. I didn't even need to hear her say it to know it. Just the fact that I hadn't seen her smile in a whole week was proof of it.

"Are you going to stare at her forever? I mean, you haven't even been alone with her for a long time, mate. It's sad", Alex commented from beside me. I turned my head around to give him the biggest glare I could muster. Alex raised both his eyebrows and his hands in surrender. Then I turned back to look at her.

I had tried to meet up with her plenty of times during the week, but she had only given me vague excuses. Ever since the day in the closet she hadn't been acting like usual. I didn't think it was her fault though. She didn't act as if she just didn't want to hang out with me. It was more like she was sad, or maybe even lost. The problem was that I wasn't able to talk to her about it, because she never wanted to hang out with me.

"Be that way then! I just think that you should grow up and go and talk to her. Just because she doesn't pay any attention to you, doesn't mean she doesn't notice your creepy stares. Because you're not gazing at her, you're staring", Alex sighed in annoyance. It made turn towards him once more with killing eyes. This time he didn't take it though. He just met my glare with his own fierce eyes.

"Either you go and talk to her, or you give her space. Those are two options you have", he declared simply. I closed my eyes in defeat and nodded. He was probably right. I needed to do something, I couldn't just sit there and stare. It wouldn't help either her or me.

"Fine! I'll talk to her", I decided and got out of my seat. Alex smiled proudly and patted me on the shoulder before I started to head for the Slytherin table. My eyes were on Amanda, that was why I could see her get up and speed walk out of the Great Hall. I groaned internally and turned around. Alex was giving me a stern look from the Gryffindor table and, since I didn't want to have him whine about how I need to talk to her for the rest of the day, I turned around again. Amanda was long gone, so there was no point going after her. Instead I kept on heading for the Slytherin table.

"What do you want?", Christina Zabini asked me as I came up to her and Allison Flint. They were both looking at me with intimidating eyes, but I refused to be scared. I needed to say what I was going to say.

"Could you please tell Amanda that I need to talk to her?", I wondered in a calm and as polite voice as possible. Allison gave Christina a look and they seemed to have a private conversation without words. Quickly, they turned back to me. This time they looked nicer than earlier. Allison sighed before pursing her lips.

"We'll tell her, Potter. I just don't know if she wants to talk to you. She's got some things on her mind right now", Allison told me and it was probably the nicest voice she had ever spoken to me in. I could tell that she felt bad for me, but still knew that she couldn't do anything about it.

"Thank you. I just need her to know that I want to be there for her", I told them before heading back to my own table. Alex wasn't really looking content, but neither was he unpleased. I sat down next to him with a sigh.

"At least I tried. Maybe, she'll talk to me", I told him before continuing on with my breakfast in a slightly sullen mood.