Chapter 30 - School's Back

Amanda's POV

Getting back to school was awful. The first day of class was worse than ever. The teachers all gave us homework. As soon as Potions had ended I hurried back to the Slytherin common room to study. I knew that I had study even more than the other students, because of me being new to magic.

"You look some crazy person, just seconds from a nervous brake down", Allison said as she sat down next to me. I didn't even look up as I grunted a half-answer. My hand was hurting after all of the writing I had been doing. My wrist was completely killing me.

"And the crazy person turns into the rude person", Allison murmured a bit annoyed. I was far to concentrated to worry about that.

"Mhmm", was my only answer. There were other people in the common room, people that I was not that close to. Some were studying, some were just hanging out. Blocking them all out was hard enough without someone actually trying to make contact.

"And now she's rude and crazy." Allison got up and left. I didn't really think much of it. Instead I opened my book bag and took out my iPod and headphones. Then I put on my most relaxing music, on full volume. I kept on working.

•••

"You should stop studying now", Scorpius told me as he pulled out one of my earphones, surprising me and making me jump. I had no idea what time it was, just that it must have been late. There were few people left in the common room, and I was getting extremely hungry.

"I can't stop, because I need to finish it", I sighed and leaned back into the couch. Scorpius turned to look at me with a frown on his face. It might've not made that much sense to him. The problem was that I didn't know as much about magic, and also that I had something else I needed to be doing. I wanted to investigate closer on the whole messenger thing. I wanted to know who was helping the messenger, but also why they were doing it. It was just so hard to do when I had all of the homework to do.

"You can finish it tomorrow. You look like you need some food", he told me, and he was right. I was not going to admit that he was though. I had eaten a bunch of Christmas candy during my studying session, even though they had not succeeded in stilling my hunger.

"I can't finish it tomorrow, because tomorrow I will get more homework. Also, I'm not hungry", I lied easily as I put my earphones back in. I hadn't even heard one line of the song that was currently playing until Scorpius pulled out my earphones once again.

"Come on! Just go with me to the kitchen", Scorpius begged me hopefully. I sighed and tried to beg Scorpius with my eyes to leave. He wasn't having it and that caused us to enter a staring contest.

"Fine", I exclaimed in irritation as I closed the book I had infront of me and put everything back into my bag. Scorpius smiled proudly as he got up and together we left the dungeon.

"What were you listening to earlier?", Scorpius asked with curiosity. The corridors were empty, and I was pretty sure that we would get into trouble if someone saw us out of the common room this late.

"Just some muggle music", I responded quietly, trying to be as quiet as possible as we sneaked towards, what I assumed was, the kitchen. I was only hoping that there wasn't anyone creeping around in the halls. It was the last I needed. 

•••

It was another late afternoon. James and I were in the library, silently trying to find out more about who was haunting us. Both James and I had gotten new notes during the first week of school.