Chapter 36 - Assignment Two

Amanda's POV

When the second letter arrived I was more than surprised. The week that the messenger had given me to complete the first assignment wasn't even over. I had one day left and even though I had completed the assignment I hadn't expected the second one to come so soon. Therefor my face only showed surprise when I saw the owl fly towards me during breakfast that morning. 

I could feel James' eyes on me when I took the letter. That was why I looked towards him and gave him a reassuring smile as I mouthed 'Rose.' It was the only explanation I could come up with. I was sure that he would ask me questions later on about the letter which was why I needed to act as innocent as possible. 

•••

Little Kitty!

I am most delightful of the way you handled the first assignment. This proves that I really can use you to do my bidding. Since I don't want to waste any time I will immediately hand you your second assignment. Because you have shown me how talented you are in stealing, I have something else for you to take. This might be a bit easier though. 

I want you to take the book "Magick Moste Evile"  by Godelot which you will find in the restricted area in the school library. You must make sure that no one catches you with this book. People might get the wrong idea and start to suspect something. 

-M

I read the letter alone in the library. I had gone there to be alone and no one had wanted to follow me there. It was almost unbelievable that the next assignment would be to take a book from there. I would have gotten out of my chair immediately and taken the book, had Molly not sat down in front of me all of a sudden. 

I quickly hid the letter in my book bag and tried to rid my face of any suspicion. Molly didn't seem to care anyways. She looked distressed and nervous and I had no idea why. Something told me that I would find out soon anyways. 

"I think that it's working. Being friends with him, you know", she suddenly blurted out, leaving me confused for a couple of seconds. It wasn't until I had really thought about her words that I realized that she was talking about the tip I gave her about the boy she liked. My mind had not been with her at all since our conversation. Homework mixed with letters from the messenger had made me completely forget about normal teenage drama. 

"Really? Are the two of you getting closer?", I wondered, still slightly dazed from the surprising subject. Molly nodded her head, but she still didn't seem that happy. Something wasn't right since she didn't look happy about good news. 

"We really are and I think that it's crazy how we've gotten so close. I just... I just don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to tell him that I want more. I can't even notice if he wants more", she rambled and put both her hands to her face. I reached forward, carefully, and moved away her hands so that I could see her. She looked up at me with pleading eyes and I realized that it was her way of asking me what she should do. I smiled reassuringly at her.

"Don't do anything until you're ready. One day you will probably get the courage to tell him the truth. I don't think you should rush into things if you aren't ready. If you want to get some type of sign that he feels the same way you should really just ask some question about his love life in general. If he likes anyone, if he likes something you're wearing. You can even ask him what he wants right now, if he wants to be single or not", I suggested while trying to sound as calm as possible. Molly really seemed to need my help and I gave her the best tip I could come up with. It might have not been ideal, but it was good enough. To be fair, just coming up with advice without much time wasn't easy.