Chapter 7

"Goodness gracious, look how pale you look!" Miss Elizabeth stared at Isabel. "I told him you weren't ready to be working in the fields, but did he listen to me?" She clucked her tongue.

Anastasia, a girl who Isabel made friends with while working in the fields, said, "It might be because she fell in a patch of stinging nettles."

"Stinging nettles! Why, child, don't you know to stay away from those? Your body will be stinging for hours. Come, sit." Elizabeth pulled out a chair and then turned to Anastasia. "Can you start setting the table for dinner?"

"Yes ma'am."

A red rash started to show on Isabel's hands.

Elizabeth put her hands on her hips. "No more." Isabel looked at her with confusion. "I don't care what the lord says, you're not working  in the fields anymore. I need your help in the kitchen."

Elizabeth observed Isabel's rashes disapprovingly and turned to Anastasia's direction. "The table can wait. Take Isabel down to the river to put some mud on this rash. Lots of mud. Smear it on your legs and hands and sit on the bank until it dries. But before you go, eat."

After Isabel washed off the mud, she and Anastasia returned back to the manor just in time for dinner. After dinner, the maids began to leave and she wondered where she would be sleeping. Isabel looked for Anastasia, hoping she could provide some answers, but she realized she had already left right after dinner ended.

Elizabeth was busy giving instructions to another servant, so Isabel stood nearby with her bag in hand. She hoped Elizabeth would notice her soon and tell her where to sleep. She also hoped she didn't look as exhausted as she felt.

Feeling invisible in her corner, Isabel watched Lord Goodwin talk to another man. She stood there for a while, analyzing his looks. He would have been considered handsome before his face had been scarred. Isabel watched as he gestured with his right hand while keeping his left arm tucked against his stomach. She had heard someone say he was only twenty-one. It was hard to tell as he held his head in a commanding way, the posture of a powerful man.

She had every intention of avoiding him as much as possible, but she felt oddly mesmerized towards him.

Desperate now, she moved towards Miss Elizabeth. Thank goodness the other maid was walking away.

"Miss Elizabeth."

The woman turned. "What is it, my dear?" Elizabeth's eyes flickered down to Isabel's bag. "Oh, you haven't found your bed. I'll take you there. Come." She turned towards to an empty hall.

"All the other female servants, except me, sleep down in the basement." Miss Elizabeth said. making her way down the stone steps. "The men sleep in another building outside. I'm in the upper hall near the lord in case he needs anything. I've been with his family since before he was born." She sighed. "It's sad to think that he's had so much pain in his life." She shook her head.

She must mean whatever gave him all of his scars.

Elizabeth continued speaking. "The attack was only the beginning of his sorrows. But, the other, well, I shouldn't even be speaking of-" They reached a door to the room where Isabel would be sleeping. Elizabeth turned towards her. "You're a kind, gentle girl. I see it in your eyes. He should have married someone like you instead of-" She shook her head and turned away. "I really shouldn't be speaking of this."

Elizabeth pushed the door open and entered the barely lit room. Women lay or sat on at least two dozen beds. Miss Elizabeth led her to an empty bed. "Here. This one's unclaimed. Do you need anything before I go?"

"No, Miss Elizabeth, thank you." Isabel dropped her bag onto the mattress.

"I"ll talk to Lord Goodwin tonight. I need your help in the kitchen tomorrow. I will make sure there will be no more fieldwork for you. Don't worry, the lord does listen to me." She looked like she was about to say something, but changed her mind, smiling softly and squeezing Isabel's shoulder before she left the room.