Chapter 29

(John's POV)

After three days, the jury was ready and John knew that he only had tonight to convince Neville not to question Isabel in front of the jury. He left his room and went to find him.

"Sir Neville, do you have a moment?"

"Ah, Lord Goodwin. I was hoping I could talk to you tonight. Have you discovered who Isabel is trying to protect?"

"I have."

"Who is it?"

John paused before answering. "It's someone who was protecting Isabel."

"Protecting her? From the bailiff?"

"Yes. This person is not a person of violence. He was only trying to keep the bailiff from hurting Isabel. The assault of the bailiff was an accident."

"Accident or not, I need to know who this person is so I can question him. Who is he?"

John couldn't betray Isabel. "I'm not telling you."

"Then the jury and I will be forced to question her."

"Sir Neville, yes, this a terrible event, but it doesn't matter who the person is, who feels very bad about what he had to do to protect a friend. Why do you have to put this village through more pain?" 

"Truth and justice. Justice is everything."

"No, justice isn't everything. There are more important things than justice."

"Like what?"

He whispered, "Faith, hope, and love, but the greatest is love."

"What did you say?"

"Love. Love is greater than justice."

(Isabel's POV)

Isabel stood out in the field with Miss Elizabeth while they were feeding goats. 

"Isabel."

Isabel turned around and saw Henry standing next to her. "What are you doing here, Henry?" She led him a few feet away from Miss Elizabeth.

"I know I shouldn't have come, but I couldn't help it. Do you think they will question you?"

"I think so."

"Don't worry. I won't be angry with you if you tell them everything."

"Please forgive me... if I do."

"I will."

She felt tears form behind her eyes as she tried not to think about what might happen with Henry. "I have to go." She turned around and went back to Miss Elizabeth.

(John's POV)

John saw Neville standing by the corner of the house watching two people, Isabel and Henry. When he caught sight of John he asked him, "John, who is that young man with the limp?"

"That's Henry Stickmin, he works for me."

"Can you call him and Isabel over here?"

"Henry." John beckoned him with his hand then walked over to where Isabel stood with Elizabeth.

"Isabel. Can you come with me? Sir Neville wants to talk to you and Henry." She followed him back to where Neville and Henry were standing.

Sir Neville asked Henry, "Do you know who I am?"