Chapter 25

(John's POV)

John stared down at Isabel's tear-stained face. He felt her body lean against his. At first, he was hesitant to hug her back, but soon he put his arms around her. He felt her relax against him, taking deep breaths. Her eyes were closed as she rested against him.

She suddenly pulled away. He loosened his hold but didn't want to let her go. Her eyes moved back and forth between him and the floor. She muttered, "I'm sorry. My behavior was... unacceptable. 

"No, not at all." He put his hands around her arms to keep her from walking away.

Isabel stared up into his face. Her cheeks blushed red. "I have to go."

She turned and practically ran from him.

(Isabel's POV)

Happy to find the room she shared with the other girls empty, Isabel flung herself on her bed.

It was one of the worst day of her life. Sir Neville got so much information from her than she wanted to give. She wondered if he only mentioned Lord Goodwin to trick her. Isabel wrapped her arms around herself, still feeling Lord Goodwin's warmness. I hugged him. What does he think of me now?  She wouldn't have done it if he hadn't looked at her the way he did. But she wanted to be in his arms. In fact, she had not just wanted it, she enjoyed it. Maybe a little too much.

She remembered the way Lord Goodwin defended her from Sir Neville's questions. When she looked at Lord Goodwin, something about his expression caused something inside her. The feeling grew when she realized she enjoyed his comfort, and enjoyed being close to him.

And that thought terrified her.

She knew that it wasn't the way a servant was supposed to feel about her lord. Her heart was still pounding. Was she as bad as Anastasia?

I need to get away from here. To another village. I need to get away from Sir Neville. I need to get away. 

(John's POV)

Olive's attitude towards Neville angered John. She mumbled her answers, glared at both of them, and accused John of attempting to murder her father, even though she didn't have any proof. 

Neville asked, "Did your father have any enemies?"

"No, everyone liked my father. He was friendly with everyone."

What would Olive do if she found out what her father did to Isabel? Or if she knew that Isabel knew who hit her father? He hoped that Neville would keep that information to himself. 

A thought hit him.The jury would need to know all of the information they could get in order to accuse who attacked the bailiff and then everyone would know the facts and that Isabel had hid them.

Isabel was not safe. He had to get her out Glynval. And soon.

Olive glared at him from across the room. Neville was asking her a question, but her eyes, filled with hatred, were on him. If Olive found out Isabel saw what happened to her father but wasn't saying anything, she'd rip her apart with her fingernails.

He would write to his aunt, the lord's wife in Rosings, England. He also needed to speak with Neville and tell him to keep what he knew about Isabel a secret. As Olive's interrogation continued, a plan formed in John's mind. He would tell Neville he needed more time to get the rest of the information from Isabel. He knew that Neville's curiosity would win over and Isabel will be safe for the time being.

But will John tell Neville who attacked the bailiff? Isabel would feel betrayed, but it might be the only way to clear her name.

The only thing that mattered right now, he couldn't let Neville know he was sending Isabel to another village.

He wouldn't be able to see or speak to her ever that often. But she would be safe from everything that was happening.

That night after dinner, John and Neville were sitting at the table.

"Sir Neville."

"Yes?"

"Isabel revealed some information to you, right?"

"Yes."

"She said she saw what happened to the bailiff and who hit him."

"True."

"But she didn't say who hit him accidentally or intentionally, but she claims that it was accidental."

"That is correct."

"Now, wouldn't it be important to you to find out who hit the bailiff?"

"Yes, of course."

"I would like it if you wouldn't tell anyone what she's said or that she knows something. In the meantime, I will try to get the information from her myself."

"I see." He looked away, staring out the window. "The truth must come out, and if you can't get it from her, I'm afraid I'll be forced to ask the jury to ask her questions."

"Of course Sir Neville. I understand."

Neville crossed his arms and smiled. "Why don't you just marry her, John?"

John was shocked. When he finally spoke, he asked, "What do you mean?"

"She would make a good wife."

His face went hot. "I don't want to talk about this with you."

"Oh, come one John. We're old friends and you can tell me anything. My lips are sealed. Why don't you marry her?"

"She doesn't love me and either way, it's none of your business." 

"How do you know that? She's a kind girl. She'd loved a good man like you."

"Like me? I don't want to get married again. You are determined to anger me, are you?

"I'm sorry, I'm only trying to understand."

"Understand this. Isabel doesn't love me and isn't interested in men in the village or marriage. And I will never marry a woman who doesn't love me. I've already made that mistake."

Neville's face turned into a frown. "I understand."

Yes, he did. The rumors spread about how the lord's beautiful wife had cheated on him with a man who she had been in love with way before she agreed to marry John. Everyone knew about her affair. Everyone except John. Once they were married, she didn't try to make it a secret that she didn't love him. At first, he thought he could win her heart, until he caught them together.

And what did she do? She laughed.

His stomach twisted at the memory.

"But I think you're wrong about one thing."

John looked at him. "And what is that?"

"You said Isabel wasn't interested in men. Most men, maybe, but she trusts you."

"All of my servants trust me."

"But not all of your servants look at you the way she does."

She did come into his arms willingly this morning. But she doesn't love me.

"I will do what you asked me to do and I won't tell anyone about what Isabel knows. But I do expect to hear from you about who the attacker is."

"Of course."