Chapter 33

(John's POV)

John poured his heart and soul into the kiss. He had to force himself to break away and look at her.

She whispered, "You do love me, don't you?"

"I love you." He gazed into her blue eyes. "I tried not to love you, but... even a man with a heart of stone like me couldn't resist you."

"You don't have a heart of stone."

"To be honest, I wasn't kind to you at first."

"Why weren't you?"

"I don't know. I guess I was too bitter and I didn't believe any women could love me especially anyone as beautiful as you, inside and out, because of all my scars. I can still hardly believe it." 

She lifted her head and gazed into his eyes.

"I thought the way I was feeling about you was wrong because you were my lord and I was only a servant. I thought I wanted to go move to another village and never marry. But know I know that I would never be happy if I moved to Rosings, after knowing and loving you."

He pulled her closer and she rested her forehead against his shoulder.

"I wasn't sure I could ever love a man after what Bailiff Richard did. But you're so kind and chivalrous. I want to make up for every cruel thing that had happened to you."

Her words filled his heart with a strange peace. "You make me feel so safe."

If he died right now, he would die happy. His whole body filled with love towards Isabel. He could be happy to stay here forever with her in his arms.

She lifted her head. "When should we marry?"

"Tomorrow."  

"We can't get married tomorrow." She smiled. "The priest needs at least three weeks to prepare for a wedding."

"We will get be married in three weeks, then."

"Three weeks then."

"I have one request."

Anything. "What is it?"

"Let me shave your beard."

"My beard?"

"Yes, my lord. I want to see your face. And your beard prickles me." She smiled.

He didn't want to say no, but it was the only thing hiding his scars. 

"Yes."

"Thank you." She threw her arms around his neck and pressed her cheek to his. "Ow. You see? My husband needs to be beardless."

Her smile made his heart swell even more, making him wanting to kiss her. He was about to do that when he heard shouts coming from the front door.

He stepped in front of Isabel, expecting the villagers to return. 

Elizabeth and Dustin burst into the room.

"My lord." Elizabeth stood breathing heavily with one hand pressed against her heart. "I was so worried for you both. We waited outside for everyone to leave. I think everyone is calm, except for that old Bailiff Richard."

John pulled Isabel to his side.

"Oh thank God you both are okay." Elizabeth covered her face with her hands.

"My lord, forgive me," Dustin said. "I tried to stop her-"

John interrupted him. "I need you to ride to the church and find the priest. Tell him there will be a wedding in three weeks."

"A wedding, my lord?"

"Yes. A wedding between myself and Isabel Smith. Where are the servants. Did anyone get hurt?"

"I-I think they are all okay and have all gone to the kitchen for food."

"Good. You may go now."

"Yes, my lord." Dustin's eyes were wide as the went from John to Isabel, as if he was waiting for an explanation. Receiving none, he turn and left the house.

Isabel left John's side and went to Elizabeth, who threw her arms around her while talking joyfully.

After she was done, Isabel asked, "Miss Elizabeth, do you have a shaving blade?"

"A shaving blade? What for?"

"Lord Goodwin wants me to shave his beard."

That wasn't completely true, but he didn't interrupt her. 

Elizabeth stared at her quizzically. Isabel whispered in her ear and then the two of him hurried off to who knew where.

He sat down to wait for them.

What a strange day it was. An hour ago he believed he was about to die. Now he was anticipating his wedding to Isabel, the most beautiful and amazing person he had ever known.

"I got some hot water." Elizabeth said as she and Isabel entered the room. In her hands, Isabel carried his shaving blade.

"Now, my lord, that chair won't do. Come sit on this stool."

John sat on the stool, eyeing the blade in her hand. Then she moved in front of him.

"May I ask if you've had experience in the field of shaving men?"

"You may, and I do."

He'd never seen such a confident smile on her face. He frowned. "You're enjoying this way too much."

"Forgive me. I'm just happy. Now hold still so that I don't cut you."

Not even married yet and she's already bossing me around. He sat perfectly still, feeling the blade on his face. He could've taken the blade away from her and told her he could do it himself. But he would be a fool to protest, not when she was this close to him, or the way she kept placing her hand against his face to tilt his face.

"Oh, my dear Lord Goodwin." Miss Elizabeth said. "I want to wish you joy in your marriage to this lovely woman. I knew you would love her, my lord. I knew she was the one who would make you happy."

John tried to say thank you but Isabel gave him a glare when he tried to move his mouth. "Stay still."

Miss Elizabeth left the room and they were alone again. Isabel was finishing up his right cheek. "I used to shave my father all the time." She rinsed the blade in the warm water and then resumed her job. "I even shaved my brothers. So you are in safe, experienced hands."

He didn't answer. He was enjoying a close observation if her face, her hair, her eyes, her lips. She didn't say anything while she finished the right side and started on his left cheek. His scarred side.

How hideous would he look with his scar exposed? Would she be disgusted?

She didn't say anything for a while as she shaved, but he could see she was deep in thought. Finally, she whispered, "You look so different." She ran a finger against his cheek and chin. "You were always handsome, but now, you look so young. You face is so smooth. Without the beard, you scar is hardly noticeable at all. Miss Elizabeth! Bring a mirror."

Miss Elizabeth hurried back into the room and gasped as she stared at him. "You scar has faded to almost nothing." She handed him a mirror.

He was startled to see himself without a beard for the first time in a long time. His left cheek had a pale, faint line. It looked nothing like it was before he grew out his beard.

He glanced at Isabel and Elizabeth. They both had wide smiles on their faces. "So handsome." Elizabeth whispered.

"Yes, he is." Isabel agreed. Elizabeth excused herself from the room, winking at Isabel.

He stood and pulled Isabel in for a kiss.