Chapter 17

(John's POV)

 Later that night, Isabel changed John's bandage again. As she was about to leave, John stopped her.

"Wait," he said.

She looked at him with a curious expression.

"I'm sorry for what I said when the bailiff asked to marry you."

Her cheeks flushed and she looked down.

"I never should have said that the bailiff should count himself lucky you refused to marry him."

She shook her head and looked confused, probably surprised that someone like him would apologize. "I don't know what to say," she whispered.

"Just say you forgive me."

"I forgive you." she said, staring at the floor.

Was she thinking about saying something else? He waited, hoping she would speak.

The door opened, John clenched his jaw in annoyance. He turned and saw one of the maids, Anastasia, walk into the room. His gaze went from him to Isabel and stopped. The girl pursed her lips. He was about to ask her what she was doing when she smiled at him and hurried to his chair.

"My Lord, I would be happy to  bring something for your arm." She leaned closer to him. "My mother always knew what to do for illnesses and injuries, and I know what to do for your arm. Let me change your bandage tomorrow and I will show you how to apply-"

"I will let you know if I need your assistance. You may go."

"Yes, my lord." As she left, she shot another glance at Isabel.

He turned back towards Isabel as she started to rise from her chair.

"I should go too." Without looking at him, she went out the door behind Anastasia.

(Isabel's POV)

Anastasia caught Isabel's arm when they reached their room. "Why do you always get to change the lord's bandage?"

"I don't know. Because Miss Elizabeth asked me to?" Maybe she asks me to do it because you're always flirting with him?

"You better tell her to let me bandage the lord's arm tomorrow. Do you understand, Isabel?" Anastasia poked her finger in Isabel's shoulder.

Isabel slapped her hand away. "I'll do what Miss Elizabeth tells me to do and you should too."

"You just want Lord Goodwin all to yourself, don't you? I don't believe you're only bandaging his arm, so what do you do? Hmm? Tell me all about it Isabel." Anastasia stood a few inches taller than Isabel and glared down at her with her hands on her hips.

Isabel forced a laugh through her throat. "I'm sorry to disappoint you, Anastasia, but there's nothing going on but caring for an injured arm."

"Then let me change his bandage tomorrow."

"If that's what you want, Anastasia, you are welcome to do as much of my work as you would like."

Anastasia leaned even closer so her nose was almost touching Isabel's.

Isabel laughed again. "You can change his bandage tomorrow Anastasia. I could really care less." But she did care, just a little bit, if she was being honest with herself. She cared about Anastasia trying to touch Lord Goodwin, trying to tempt him to think of her as more than just a servant. The thought was so disgusting Isabel had to turn away from Anastasia to keep her from seeing the disgust and the daggers in her eyes.

Anastasia said a few more things about being allowed to help Lord Goodwin and making threats to Isabel if she got in her way, but Isabel wasn't listening. She was too busy pushing away the image of Anastasia and Lord Goodwin being together.