Chapter 15

(John's POV)

Once inside the house, John sat in a chair and watched Isabel get an empty bucket, still carrying the pitcher of water. 

Then she pulled up a chair and sat next to him.

"Now, hold your arm over the bucket." She set it down in front of him.

She leaned close, taking his hand in hers, and studied his burn. The touch of her fingers were cool against his burning skin.

"I have to clean the burn so I can see how bad it is, and the cool water will be good for it." She began, slowly, to pour the water over his arm. It was painful and soothing at the same time. The water ran out just as the door opened and Dustin came in carrying two buckets, Elizabeth walking in behind him.

"Oh, Lord Goodwin!" Her voice was agitated. She had always been upset over every injury he got, even if it was a tiny cut. He didn't like to remember how she reacted to his wolf attacks, she cried for weeks.

"Elizabeth, it's only a burn." The pain caused his tone of voice to sound rude. He regretted taking his pain out on her, but she was used to his attitude.

Dustin set the buckets of water down beside him.

"Here you are, child." Elizabeth set the bandages on the table besides them.

Isabel stepped back.

"You do it, my dear." Elizabeth got a stool and set it down in front of him, then motioned for Isabel to sit. "You seem to know how to treat a burn. I will watch you."

John's arm throbbed more now that Isabel stopped pouring water on it. He was relieved when she dipped the pitcher into the bucket of water and began pouring it over his arm again.

"It doesn't appear as bad as I thought." Isabel said.

She took hold of his hand and held his arm up to the light.

"Does it hurt much?" Her bright blue eyes filled with compassion as she looked into his face.

He didn't get to reply because the door burst open and Dustin's son, Jeremiah, came running in. "Father! What happened? Did you see the fire?"

Dustin tried to quiet his son, but Jeremiah came straight up to Isabel and looked down at John's burned arm.

"Oooh. That's the worst burn I've ever seen!"

John looked at Dustin, hoping he would take the child outside.

But before Dusting could say anything, Isabel spoke, "Jeremiah, I need to bandage Lord Goodwin's arm, so why don't you go with your father to see if any of the men need help fighting the fire.

She smiled at him, and then he ran out of the room. Dustin followed after him.

As Dustin left the room, Elizabeth came closer, watching as Isabel continued pouring water over his arm. Then she placed a hand on Isabel's shoulder. "How do you know so much about healing a burn?"

"My brother burned himself badly a few years ago. I watched how my mother treated it."

John stared at her. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

Elizabeth caught him looking at Isabel and raised her eyebrows at him. John scowled.

She turned to Isabel. "How fortunate Lord Goodwin has such a gentle, knowledgeable nurse among his servants."

Instead of blushing and looking embarrassed, or smirking and taking advantage of the situation, as most girls would have, Isabel frowned and shook her head. "I'm just fortunate to know a little about caring for burns. 

Elizabeth raised her eyebrows at John again. He answered with a glare.

"You may go." Though he hadn't intended it, the words came out as a bark.

She smiled at him. "I'll go comfort the other girls. They looked terrified."

She obviously wasn't afraid of him.

Elizabeth left the house, leaving him and Isabel alone.

Isabel held one hand under his arm while she took a cloth, dipped it in the water, and began to dab at the soot around the burn.

"How did you get a burn?"

"There was a fire.... in the barn."

She frowned at him. "I know that. But how-"

"I herded the sheep out the door. There was one lamb who was frightened and wouldn't come out, and so I went to go and get her. She wouldn't let me lead her. I had to pick her up and carry her. On the way out, something burning fell on my arm and burned away my sleeve." He said. "So you see what a hero I am." For the second time in my life.

"You are a hero."

She was so beautiful and seemed so unaware of it. The wisps of blonde hair dance around her cheeks just as he had captured it in his painting. But even more beautiful than her physical beauty were the glimpses he had seen of her heart and soul.

God, help me.

"So what did you do? How did you put out the fire on your arm?"

He stretched out his right hand.

She gasped. "Oh, you should have told me." Before knew what she was about to do, she took his hand and plunged it into the bucket of water.

She pulled his hand out. "No blisters. That's good." Then she began drying it with a cloth.

She turned her attention back to his badly burned arm.

"How did the fire start?" she asked.

"I don't know, but all of our crops are gone. But we still have a wheat supply in the smaller barn.

"I don't think anyone would have deliberately started the fire." Then she turned her attention back to his hand.

He pulled his hand away. She looked up at him in surprise.

He shook his head. "That isn't necessary. My hand isn't badly burned."

She began wrapping his blistered forearm with the bandages.

The pain seemed to intensify as she did so. "It's a severe burn, my lord. You must allow either me or Miss Elizabeth to inspect it every day and wash it with water."

She took another cloth and wet it in the bucket. Then she leaned forward and wiped his forehead.

Surprised by the action, he stared back and examined her face. He could see from her expression that wiping his face didn't embarrass her.

Because she feels nothing for me, nothing a sister wouldn't feel for a brother, or a servant for her lord.  She reached out to wipe his right cheek, but he took the cloth from her and wiped his own face.

For a few moments, he had wondered if her feelings for him were there. But no. She felt only the natural compassion and concern she would have felt for an animal, the same emotion he had felt for the sheep in the barn,

"I'll get you something for the pain. I believe I have some chamomile in the bag I brought from home."

"No. Have someone fetch another bucket of water. That's all I need."

"Yes, my lord."

As he watched her leave, the pain in his arm seemed to spread all through him, giving him a headache. The pain was intense, but as he closed his eyes, he couldn't stop remembering the sweetness in her expression, the kindness in her words and actions... the gentleness of her touch.

His chest tightened painfully. He was a fool.