Chapter 18

(Isabel's POV)

The next night, after dinner, Elizabeth brought the bandages and water to Isabel and nudged her towards where Lord Goodwin sat. Isabel looked up into Elizabeth's face. Surely she didn't have romantic ideas about Isabel and Lord Goodwin. I must be imagining it.

Almost immediately, Anastasia came up between Miss Elizabeth and Isabel.

"I can change the lord's bandage tonight, Miss Elizabeth. I have some herbs that are very good for burns."

Miss Elizabeth looked at Anastasia and shook her head. "Lord Goodwin is used to Isabel treating his wound, and he is very picky. You run along and get to bed."

"Please, Miss Elizabeth. I have these special herbs. I told Lord Goodwin about them last night. I think he wants to try them."

Miss Elizabeth didn't say anything for a moment, then said, "If you want to leave your medicines for him, I will take them, but Isabel will be doing the rest."

"I'll give them to him myself." She turned and headed out of the room.

Isabel looked at Elizabeth. "Last night she asked if she could bandage his arm. I don't care if she does."

"Nonsense! I will not have her... never mind. You do as I tell you and take care of Lord Goodwin's arm. Got it?"

Isabel carried a stool towards Lord Goodwin, wondering how much he heard. As soon as she took off his bandage, Anastasia came back into the room and came straight over to them.

"My lord, I brought my mother's herbs to drink. Move over, Isabel." She pushed Isabel's shoulder, and Isabel stood. Lord Goodwin watched Isabel as Anastasia handed him a cup. "Drink this, my lord. It's my mother's special drink made from herbs."

Would Lord Goodwin actually let her do this? Isabel watched as he sighed and took the cup.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Miss Elizabeth rushed over to the lord's side.

"It's comfrey," Anastasia said, placing her hand on her hips. "It's good for burns. My mother said so."

"It's all right, Miss Elizabeth." Isabel said before Elizabeth did something she'd regret. "Comfrey is good for burns." And Lord Goodwin has been drinking it every morning.

"Of course it is. It will make his arm feel better!" Anastasia smiled and looked at Lord Goodwin. "Trust me, my lord."

Lord Goodwin picked up the steaming cup.

"All right. That's all good, Anastasia. You can go now. You've done enough for tonight."

 Anastasia stood and turned to go, but then looked back at Lord Goodwin. "Let me know if it helps, my lord. I will come whenever you need me." She batted her eyes and lingered for a moment, then left.

Miss Elizabeth nodded to Isabel. "You can finish your job now."

Isabel sat back down and wrapped the bandage over his arm. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Lord Goodwin take a sip from the cup. He scrunched his face as though he tasted something bitter then set the cup back down on the table.

As she was wrapping the bandage, Isabel thought about her life working as a servant. Lord Goodwin treated her more kindly than the rest of her family. He wasn't trying to force her to marry Bailiff Richard and was even willing to protect her from him. Her servant status could almost be a blessing.

This thought surprised her. She'd felt abandoned by God, but maybe He had actually been taking care of her by sending her here. She felt peace when she was here.

God wanted her to have peace. But how exactly would that peace happen?

"What are you thinking about?" Lord Goodwin asked.

"I was wondering about peace and if our troubles draw us closer to God or push us farther away from Him."

Lord Goodwin leaned forward and gazed at her intently. It made her wonder if he'd been staring at her the entire time.

"Have you had many troubles?"

"Not that much, no."

"Have they brought you closer to God?"

"When my father died, I prayed for a long time and it made me feel closer to God." She waited, hoping he would say something about his own troubles. She decided to take the risk and ask. "You've had troubles, haven't you, my lord?"

He stared at her before replying. "Yes. My wife died a couple hours after our baby died during childbirth three years ago."

"Oh, that's very sad. I'm sorry."

He didn't look sad, he looked angry, as if he didn't want her pity. "It was God's will."

"Do you think so? Does God cause bad things to happen? Does the Bible say that?"

He blew out a frustrated breath. "The Bible says God 'had compassion on all He has made,' wanting all to come to Him and be saved. What was your question? Do troubles bring us closer to God? The answer is yes, but we must choose it. Otherwise, our troubles do the opposite and push us away from God. 1 Peter 5:7 says 'Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you'." 

His voice had softened with each word he said. The words themselves were beautiful. The fact that Lord Goodwin knew those words by heart made her think that he had taken comfort in them, that he had allowed his pain and sorrow to draw him closer to God in the past.

"It's late," he declared. "You should go to bed."

Their eyes met for a moment. She told him goodnight, and as she walked to her bed, she felt at peace.

A/N: Thank you guys for reading this far into my story. Remember God loves you and truly cares for you. Yes, you have troubles in your life, but you are not the only one. I, as a Christian, have troubles in life. Just because you have troubles in life, that doesn't mean that God doesn't love you, it means that Satan is giving you troubles in life to turn away from God and turn to worldly things. We should use our troubled times to grow closer to God and trust Him more. I have a Daily Devotions book that I'm writing where I go over verses and, if you want, please check it out.