Chapter 22

(Isabel's POV)

After staying hidden in the kitchen all day, Isabel hated the thought of having to face everyone during dinner. The king's captain would be there, and so would Lord Goodwin. They haven't said anything to each other since he hugged her.

As everyone started coming in for the meal, Isabel started to fill cups up with water. She kept glancing at the door until she spotted Lord Goodwin walking in with a sandy haired man, the king's captain.

Lord Goodwin seemed to look around the room until his gaze met hers. With him staring straight at her, the pitcher fell out of her hand and landed on the floor. It shattered, sending shards of glass everywhere.

How can I be so clumsy?  Now the whole room would stare at her, and that's the last thing she wanted to happen.

She bent down and started picking up the shards.

Jeremiah came running towards her. "Can I help?"

Isabel took one look at his bare feet and told him, "Jeremiah stop. You'll cut your foot." His father caught him by the arm and pulled him back to his seat.

Isabel scooped up the fragments with her hands and placed them in her apron. Olive knelt to help. Her hands were shaking and her face was all red and puffy.

Isabel dumped the shards into a trash can and started to clean up the water. What should she say to Olive? 

But Olive looked like she wasn't in the mood to talk. She grabbed another pitcher, filled it with water, and finished filling the cups.

Isabel wiped her hands on her apron and felt a sting on her leg. A triangle piece of glass was sticking out of her leg, with some blood oozing down her leg.

"Isabel." Miss Elizabeth came towards her with a cloth in her hand. "You're bleeding."

"I know. I'm sorry. I broke the pitcher-"

"Don't worry about that. Come on. Let me take care of your leg."

They moved to a bench that was up against a wall, and Miss Elizabeth carefully pulled the piece of glass from Isabel's leg and then wrapped the cloth around her leg.

"Don't worry about it Miss Elizabeth. It's nothing." Her vision started to swarm and she placed her elbow on her knee and put  her head in her hand. This is what she got for not eating anything today.

Miss Elizabeth patted her shoulder. "You're tired. Go down to your bed and I'll bring you some food."

She didn't really want to be left alone in the dark room, but the thought of escaping Lord Goodwin's and the King's captain's presence changed her mind.

Her legs a bit wobbly, Isabel headed to the door. Lord Goodwin and the captain stood in her path. She looked down at her apron and hoped that neither of them would notice her. She walked past the men and soon was almost to the door.

"Isabel."

She turned around. "Yes, my lord?"

"I need you to change my bandages tonight."

"Yes, my lord." She didn't intend to look at him, but she couldn't stop herself from glancing up at his face. He actually had a pleasant face when he wasn't angry. 

As promised, Miss Elizabeth brought down a plate full of food.

Isabel sat on the edge of her bed and ate while Miss Elizabeth tended to the fire.

"The King's captain is Sir Neville. He's a kind person. He's known Lord Goodwin since they were kids. I'd say that we couldn't ask for a better man for the job. He'll soon find out what happened to Bailiff Richard and this whole thing will be over."

"Do people think it wasn't an accident? That someone was trying to hurt the bailiff?"

"Yes, they do. Olive thinks so. She was very upset, poor girl." Miss Elizabeth shook her head.

"Maybe it was an accident." Isabel stared down at her food. The last bite seemed to be stuck in her throat.

"That will be up to Sir Neville to decide. Finish your food and go tend to Lord Goodwin's bandage. He should be waiting for you."

They started walking back to the dining room and stepped inside. People were beginning to depart. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Lord Goodwin's gaze locked on her.

I forgot to get clean bandages. She clenched her teeth to keep herself from groaning. As she turned to go back, Miss Elizabeth stopped her.

"Where are you going? Lord Goodwin is waiting for you. I have the clean water ready."

"I forgot the bandages."

"Oh I have all those things ready for you. Come."

Isabel followed. Maybe Lord Goodwin and Sir Neville will ignore her and let her work on the burns. Any other lord would treat her that way. But Lord Goodwin wasn't like any other lord. He treated her more than just a servant.

She had to bring her thoughts back to the now. She had to focus on getting through the next couple minutes.

Lord Goodwin and Sir Neville were having a conversation at the table.

"Anyone could have set the fire, but the evidence appears to have been destroyed." The captain took a sip of his drink. "I can question the men who were asleep in the barn if you want, but unless someone comes forward and says they saw something, you'll probably never know what happened."

Lord Goodwin nodded.

Miss Elizabeth brought a stool for Isabel and sat it beside Lord Goodwin's chair.

"My lord?" Miss Elizabeth said.

He looked up.

"Isabel is here to change your bandages."

He turned his gaze to her and then back to Sir Neville and held up his bandaged arm.

Sir Neville shook his head and waved his hand. "Do whatever you need to do. Pretend I'm not here."

She unwrapped the bandage from his arm. She dipped a cloth into the cold water and washed his arm. Lord Goodwin sat perfectly still.

Sir Neville said nothing, but Isabel felt his eyes on her. His gaze went back and forth between Lord Goodwin's face to her and back again. She concentrated on her lord's arm as he and Sir Neville began talking about random stuff. The burns on his arm still looked far from being healed.

Isabel concentrated on wrapping the wound quickly without making any mistakes. Lord Goodwin assisted her by holding his arm higher or lower. Sir Neville's stares made her wish someone would speak and break the awkward silence.

She tied the bandage in place. She stood and curtsied before leaving the room.